Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Improperly Staked BCG?

Feedback Score
    One of my BCG's is staked exactly like yours OP, couple thousand rounds downrange and it's still good but definitely not ideal. I'd keep it as a backup if they don't let you return it

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    The staking looks OK. I would be more concerned about the NiB nonsense.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Here is a pic of a few of my BCGs. I just randomally pulled 2 BCM's out of rifles and the one spikes I have. Spikes is on the left, and BCM's center and right. All cover the head in some way. If it was not NiB, I would stake it more. Do they coat the BCGs with NiB before they stake the key? No experience with the NiB, and not sure if you tried to stake it more, would ruin the finish?? So I would run it, or send it back. Pic removed because I ran out of space..
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 08-11-14 at 17:49.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    MOACKS.........fixes all poorly staked gas keys
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    All three of my carriers (BCM, centurion, noveske) look far more like the first photo than the second. Did I win the staking job dud lotto or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It takes very little staking to hold a properly torqued fastener against loosening due to vibration, thermal cycling or both. I base this opinion on observations of staking of fasteners used in steam turbines, gas turbines and big generators. Usually there is no disadvantage to staking more than necessary though it will cause a problem if you ever want to remove the fastener later. I have replaced three gas keys, two had been dropped and damaged. Both of these I replaced at the range, both were lightly staked and the screws came out with some but not too much difficulty. The third, one of the screws broke and despite the heavy staking the head came out bound up the bolt carrier. The surviving screw was staked so heavily I could not remove it without rounding out the hex. I took the BCG to the little maintenance shop on the range and drilled out the busted off screw which came right out (a good reason not to use Rockset or Locktite when not necessary). I drilled the heavy stakes out and installed a new screw and re-staked it with a hammer and punch. It was ugly but it worked and continues to work to this day, this is on a buddy's S&W 5.45 that he has shot the crap out of it. After I had drilled out the old heavy staking there was not much metal left for re-staking and I wouldn't have been surprised if it didn't hold but it has.

Specifically in the commutator of a Westinghouse generator the brush assemblies are held together by 10-32 screws which are staked by a hand squeezed tool which will not, evidently by design, will not permit heavy staking, it only makes a light stake, reason seems to be so the screws can be removed later. This is a very high vibration environment and if there is a failure it can result in the destruction of the entire assembly which costs $100 K or so and a generator down for a week or so which costs a lot more than any $100 K. This design is decades old and very well proved.

Feedback Score
    If it really bothers you send it back, out of my spikes DD, bcm and aim surplus BCGs they all look similar to you first pic. Which is fine. You could re stake it

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The staking looks fine. If you're overly concerned, maybe a light tap with a punch will help you.

Here's my Spike's 5.45 BCG... I think it's almost excessive on this one.

Attachment 27492

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the opinions guys. I've decided to just run it, seeing as how my bcg seems to be staked adequately (maybe a bit light) and heavy staking doesn't necessarily correlate to increased reliability. But I'll have to see I guess. As for the NiB, I got mine at a reduced price and thought I'd try it out. I don't see any real downsides other than the price markup, so I'm not going to sweat it.

After all, the worst case scenario is gas key comes loose and "spray paint" comes off. Spike's has a lifetime warranty anyway.
    Last edited by SiboZ; 07-24-14 at 19:04.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They do stand behind their stuff, I can tell you that for a fact.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast