Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about this for a first Ar

Feedback Score

What do you think about this for a first Ar

First post go easy on me ..... I just purchased a Sig Sauer ar it's the rm 400 wth sopmod buttstock...and Keymod hand guard .... Got it from selway for $674 after the rebate .... Is this a decent first Ar .... I got a colt hbar on a trade several years ago ... But traded it off for several guns .... Probably should have kept it but ..... Live and learn .... Are they any concerns on this Sig ... Thankyou very much Preacher Ritchie

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Research is best done before purchase to avoid BH.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    I did research beforehand just couldn't find a whole lot of info ......

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacherritchie View Post
    I did research beforehand just couldn't find a whole lot of info ......
    I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if you could find very little info about it, why buy it? There is plenty of info out there about other AR manufactures and the rifles they make.

Feedback Score
    I simply bought it because it was recommended by another forum member and the reviews I saw on it were good ... Though limited ...that's why I posted here to hopefully see if some other members might have one .... To give some comments ....... And it's my first Ar ..... Going by my screen name us preachers don't make a whole lot of money lol ..... So purchasing some tricked out Ar was out of the question for me .... Thankyou Ritchie

Feedback Score
    http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...ries-gray.aspx

This is the one correct?

Just get out there and shoot the snot out of it. Make sure you properly maintain it and if it's still kicking after several thousand rounds - good purchase.

Feedback Score
    I have not owned one but people seem to like them a lot. Congratulations on your "First" AR. Now get some ammo, more ammo, and shoot the "Devil" out of it.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

"Some of you would bitch if a hot blonde served you a perfect steak and beer of choice while naked and performed acts not described." Mark5pt56

Feedback Score
    preacher ritchie,

as a fellow new guy, here's how I went about getting smart on the AR platform: on both this forum and the technical discussion forum, look at the stickied threads relating to construction and practical use of the system (knowledge based threads specifically). If you come across terminology that you are unfamiliar with (6061 vs 7075 aluminum for instance), use the search function and find a thread that discusses that issue. I almost guarantee there is one.

Those knowledge base topics form the basis of the advice you are receiving in this thread. People will tell you how it is, not cheerlead your choices. You may start to think folks here are fanboys of x or y brand. From what I've seen people here are just give a damn about whether or not you can bet your life on the tool you purchased. The characteristics of a carbine that meets that standard is, again, contained in the knowledge based threads. It is your first, and I'm assuming only, AR at this point, so I assume this is your intended purpose for this weapon.

Finally, since you already purchased the gun, use it as a training opportunity to intimately learn the platform. Shoot it. A lot. Buy ammo and get training before buying any accessories. once you reach a level where you know what you like and dislike in a rifle, use that experiential knowledge combined with the technical knowledge you gain here to guide your next purchase. Best of luck to you.
    Last edited by E_Johnson; 07-18-14 at 15:53. Reason: typos

Feedback Score
    Thankyou everyone .... Glad to be apart of this quality site .... Lots of info .... Now I must read ....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by E_Johnson View Post
    preacher ritchie,

as a fellow new guy, here's how I went about getting smart on the AR platform: on both this forum and the technical discussion forum, look at the stickied threads relating to construction and practical use of the system (knowledge based threads specifically). If you come across terminology that you are unfamiliar with (6061 vs 7075 aluminum for instance), use the search function and find a thread that discusses that issue. I almost guarantee there is one.

Those knowledge base topics form the basis of the advice you are receiving in this thread. People will tell you how it is, not cheerlead your choices. You may start to think folks here are fanboys of x or y brand. From what I've seen people here are just give a damn about whether or not you can bet your life on the tool you purchased. The characteristics of a carbine that meets that standard is, again, contained in the knowledge based threads. It is your first, and I'm assuming only, AR at this point, so I assume this is your intended purpose for this weapon.

Finally, since you already purchased the gun, use it as a training opportunity to intimately learn the platform. Shoot it. A lot. Buy ammo and get training before buying any accessories. once you reach a level where you know what you like and dislike in a rifle, use that experiential knowledge combined with the technical knowledge you gain here to guide your next purchase. Best of luck to you.
    Good bit of information here ^
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast