Thread: Help: What is or would be your 6.5 grendele parts list???

Feedback Score

Help: What is or would be your 6.5 grendele parts list???

I am getting ready to do my first build and decided to go with a 6.5g. I have been researching a parts list for days and my head is spinning. I was thinking it's just a 556 upper/lower with different bolt, barrel and brake?! I'm seeing dedicated 6.5 uppers as my research goes on. Are these just the 556 uppers with 6.5g or 7.62x39 bolt?
    What is or would be your parts list???
    This is what I'm thinking, I will be using it for everything from CQB to 900-1000m for fun and white tail hunting. Looking to spend $1500ish on parts minus optics

Spikes/Mega 556 upper/lower

Spike lower parts kit

JD BCG (may be a little steep on the price tag for my build)

Geissele trigger

18-20" barrel- not sure which

Seekins SAR 13" hand guard

Magpul ACS or Vltor Emod

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    6.5 Grendel works just fine in any standard AR15 upper or lower. There is no need for a dedicated or marked 6.5G receiver.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    6.5 Grendel works just fine in any standard AR15 upper or lower. There is no need for a dedicated or marked 6.5G receiver.
    Thanks! That's what I was thinking.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Only differences for 6.5Grendel (and 6.8SPC as well) from standard 5.56/.223 AR parts are:

Barrel (and therefore muzzle device due to larger bullet and different threading)
    Bolt
    Magazines

Feedback Score
    So where do you get a 6.5 Grendel barrel? Alexander Arms doesn't show them on their website and what they do have seems overpriced anyway. For example, a lower half with a M4 style buttstock and military grade trigger is $484. A quality lower half can easily be built for $200 less. As far as upper halves go, they don't even list the configuration that I'd want.

While we're on the subject, what are the pitfalls of a 6.5 Grendel build?
    Last edited by Bret; 07-20-14 at 21:38.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Specialized magazines with reduced capacity when compared to 5.56x45, Ammunition that is much more expensive than lowest priced 5.56x45, Bolts that are much more fragile than standard Carpenter 158 bolts that have been HP tested and Magnetically particle inspected. In terms of building, it is as straightforward as building any AR, quality tools, armorer training, and quality components will make the difference.

If you understand these as shortcomings, you can prepare accordingly. It's not a bad round if you want efficiency and stable long range flight.

Barrel wise there are options out there for you to build your own: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/719...vc=subv1719047

This barrel was found in a few seconds via google, and I'm sure there are many more out there.
    Last edited by MorphCross; 07-20-14 at 22:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    So where do you get a 6.5 Grendel barrel? Alexander Arms doesn't show them on their website and what they do have seems overpriced anyway. For example, a lower half with a M4 style buttstock and military grade trigger is $484. A quality lower half can easily be built for $200 less. As far as upper halves go, they don't even list the configuration that I'd want.

There are several places to find barrels out there, Brownells and Midway have them.
    As far as more expensive.... The only difference is barrel, brake, bolt and magazine. The lower half is the same as any other AR15 lower, I'm not sure why your seeing them more expensive. I'm getting a BCG for $189.99. The barrels can be pricey but I am going with Brownells for like 289.99
    You can find magazine in 25, 15, 10 and 5 easily online or at Brownells and Midway.
    A few years ago there may have been issues with magazines and bolts but from what I understand not so much anymore.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One other problem I've read about regarding the 6.5G is that all the different ammo, bolt and barrel manufacturers don't always 'play nice' with each other. There's the 6.5Grendel (Alexander Arms primarily at this point) and the .264LBC (Les Baer Custom open source) for examples that may have contributed to problems ranging from FTF, FTE to 'Papa no kicks' (Pop - ignition, but no Kick - bullet exiting the barrel). I read of these awhile ago while doing my own research on an alternative AR caliber. I do not remember if it was narrowed down to improper chamber specs specs, bolt specs or specifically ammo but it might be worth researching a bit more to be sure.

Feedback Score
    I would look hard at the 264 LBC. It has some features that are a tad better for long range work IMHO. Barrels are available from Black Hole. A bit better in pricing. The ASC mags run very well and are reasonable in price.

The big dust up referred to above was in the use of a reamer that was a tad short in the throat. They went in and reamed the throats to a more standard straight taper leade. Basically put an LBC throat on a Grendel necked chamber.

Greg