Thread: Upper Assembly Tips?

Feedback Score

Upper Assembly Tips?

I think everyone on here can build an upper and lower but do any of you have any tricks that have helped your builds go along better or just turned out a better upper quality wise?

-To start off:

I use a gage pin as large as possable inserted into the hole for the gas tube on the upper to align the barrel nut.

On the barrel extension i use a VERY light coating of engine assyembly lube. (This could be a screw up as ive seen where some people use locktite. Two opposing methods so this may take some looking into)

On the external threads I use antisieze and screw the barrel nut on and off a few times before i mount the barrel to spread it out a little more. I try not to use too much antizieze though.

Feedback Score
    Just follow the manual and you will be fine.

TM 9-1005-319-23
    3-40 Change 4 (pg 153+)
    7. Wipe upper receiver threads clean and ensure there are no burrs. Apply molybdenum disulfide grease to the
    threads before installation.

http://www.sniper.nnov.ru/manual_m16...a1_main_en.pdf

-David

AR-15 owner/shooter since 1998

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I agree with AMMOTECH. If you follow the manual and have the right tools you will be good.

1. I use small amounts of anti-seize on the lower receiver ext. and nut, not lube.

2. Take your time and don't rush it. I also screw the barrel down 3 times and then tighten it down. Again, use molybdenum or anti-seize.

3. Know what you need ahead of time. .155 or .170 pins? commercial receiver extension or do you want milspec? Same with the stock.

4. If it don't feel right, stop check it out and then continue.

Unless you have done more than a few, don't deviate too much from procedures and ask questions before you FUBAR something.