Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting article by Army SOF on MK18 use

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    a niche cartridge like 300BLK not only doesn't get much "air time" but would be largely useless.
    Why do you think I changed the official designation to "300 Useless"?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Going off of what Dano alluded to in his comment about shorties and their questionable effectiveness in the expanses of Afghanistan, I'd assume a niche cartridge like 300BLK not only doesn't get much "air time" but would be largely useless. Think about the contact distances we're talking about and the 300BLK ain't it. Hell, you might as well throw out aiming stakes for the mortar-like trajectory at 500-700 meters!
    Even if say, a group of Rangers had a .300 blackout as their firearm, the also have may have Scar Heavies, LMGs, GPMGs, mortars, or their radio for calling in air support or artillery. All of which are more effective at keeping the oppositions heads down. I'm pretty sure this has been covered in this thread before. Anyway, if they were selected for a mission it would be someones responsibility to decide on the potential for engagements at those distances and making sure that they are equipped to handle it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MorphCross View Post
    Even if say, a group of Rangers had a .300 blackout as their firearm, the also have may have Scar Heavies, LMGs, GPMGs, mortars, or their radio for calling in air support or artillery. All of which are more effective at keeping the oppositions heads down. I'm pretty sure this has been covered in this thread before. Anyway, if they were selected for a mission it would be someones responsibility to decide on the potential for engagements at those distances and making sure that they are equipped to handle it.
    Even with the "heavier" supportive weapons available, I would still want the bulk of my guys (i.e. those armed with an M4) to be able to hit someone at that 500-700 meter range if in a firefight and that would preclude 300BLK.

Think about it: let's say your platoon has 30 guys in it, and perhaps 24 or so are armed with M4's. You get into a firefight at ~ 600 meters. Now, with an ACOG especially, you can effectively engage with your whole platoon if those guys are using 5.56mm. However, if they have 300BLK then you basically have 6 guys armed with SAWs and 240's who are delivering somewhat deadly return fire. I'll take the former, not the latter.

I know what you're saying about mission-dictated weapons choice but in general 300BLK is not gonna get play time.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    From what little I know, there are organizations using the 300. Others are T&Eing it. It has a role to play I think.

C4

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    People should also think outside of the Afghan box. There are still maritime operations, and other countries where stuff is going on. I would also consider it to be somewhat of a "role" caliber than general purpose.

Going off of what Dano alluded to in his comment about shorties and their questionable effectiveness in the expanses of Afghanistan, I'd assume a niche cartridge like 300BLK not only doesn't get much "air time" but would be largely useless. Think about the contact distances we're talking about and the 300BLK ain't it. Hell, you might as well throw out aiming stakes for the mortar-like trajectory at 500-700 meters!

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I talked with a guy (who would know such things) recently who told me the 300BLK is seeing some limited usage during raids.

Just look at that recent raid in Somalia where the HK MP-7 was found. Even if the weapon isn't widespread it could be very useful to certain people with the ability to choose.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Did I read that the Mk12 was discontinued?

Why? I thought it was highly thought of by its users.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Dano didn't write the article, he provided comments based on his experiences on it. I won't answer your question since I only know hearsay.
    Thanks for the correction.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Did I read that the Mk12 was discontinued?

Why? I thought it was highly thought of by its users.
    Replaced by a long SCAR-H variant known as the Mk20. It's not as accurate as the Mk12 and the idea of using a DMR in a caliber incompatible with what everyone else carries is a little odd.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    dc/dr

(David Crane/Didn't Read)

Quote Originally Posted by Tacti-square View Post
    http://www.defensereview.com/tactica...sover-part-ii/

Very interesting read. It basically covers the modern warfighter's trend toward shorter barrels, slicker hand guards and suppressors. After rereading all the benefits of 10.5 inch barrel, the DT MDR-C is looking even more appealing.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast