Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Interesting article by Army SOF on MK18 use

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    A friend who is an SME here rolled ten deep on M4 mags outside the wire in AFG and Africa. Friends of his did 2, 3, 4 years in Iraq wearing 3 mags because there was a bag of spares in the truck if they had to hit more houses than planned. So you'll have two experienced SOF Soldiers saying with knowledge and honesty what worked for them in their dissimilar AO and missions despite the fact that the answers are worlds apart.
    I was just a regular old line unit leg. In 03 in Iraq I was a SAW gunner and carried 900 rounds. I shot about 150 rounds total throughout the entire invasion being on the front lines. In 05 in Iraq I carried a M16-DMR and carried 11 mags. That whole year I fired about half a mag.

Both times the Bradleys, Abrams and humvees did the vast majority of the shooting. I could have easily dropped down to a few extra mags. However the guys up in the mountains of Afghanistan don't have the luxury of mobile armored death machines.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    In Afghanistan I carried the standard combat load out of six mags in my TT MAV and a couple spares in my assault pack. I felt there were diminishing returns carrying 8-10 mags like some guys in my platoon while we were working up in the hills and moving through compounds. Some guys carried that many because they'd heard about some TIC out in Khoust that last for hours or they no shit just thought it was the cool thing to do. However IMO carrying that many mags on your person creates a lot of weight and bulk that when combined with the armor and other gear we had to carry reduces your mobility and efficiency. There was a great piece of advice on another forum about gear that went something like if you can run, jump, get over an 8' wall, and keep fighting in all of your gear you're doing it wrong.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Tagged.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Getting tired of losing out on valuable experience, insight, and opinions because some ****wit wants to get in a dick measuring contest with an SME.
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Wow. This thread degraded quickly. I know the author of article personally. He is a stand up dude with multiple combat deployments encompassing a 20+ year career. I am somewhat amused with how hard some others in "the industry" came at him.

Feedback Score
    Given the opinions expressed here and in the article, it's interesting to note KD's newest featured gun:

Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 3.20.05 PM copy.jpg
    Last edited by lightestfighter; 09-03-14 at 17:32.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Dano,

Please stick around.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Maybe just maybe this is about carrying heavy stuff up hills and mitigating that weight as much as possible.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lightestfighter View Post
    Given the opinions expressed here and in the article, it's interesting to note KD's newest featured gun:

I couldn't help but notice that he dropped the CAR stock and I don't see a full length cleaning rod hanging on the side of his karbean.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lightestfighter View Post

As the parts and accessories become more plentiful, the actualization of that concept goal is getting easier to access. Mine differs in a few spots from ideal (UBR ideally would be an A5/ACS or A5/SOPMOD, I happen to run an OPS 14th or M4S on mine) and some newer hardware can go further with that idea (VCOG, BCM's KMR), that is absolutely the formula for an amazing contact-600m capable rifle [though KD's own guidelines of 4's would make that a 0-400m tool].

عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819