Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Advice on helping with recoil on AR 15 5.56

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Yup, seems the OP was run off by a few obnoxious responses, when most of us were merely trying to help the guy out.

Oh, well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post
    Yup, seems the OP was run off by a few obnoxious responses, when most of us were merely trying to help the guy out.

Oh, well.
    Or... did we have a hit and run Troll buzz through ??? Usually people are more open and descriptive with a problem, plus much more receptive with help. This was more of a no win situation regardless of any direction it went.
    Give Me the Eyes of an Eagle.The Courage of a Lion and the Balls of a Combat Helicopter Pilot. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
    Or... did we have a hit and run Troll buzz through ??? Usually people are more open and descriptive with a problem, plus much more receptive with help. This was more of a no win situation regardless of any direction it went.
    That seems more likely - not editing the headline post to include the most important datum is a red flag there. Otherwise, reread my first post directed to the OP regarding the value of advice from the internet, and how to make use of the good stuff.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    New idea here, and another software suggestion.

So everyone, including me suggested pulling the stock into the shoulder. This is great advice, but honestly it is advice fun an uninjured shoulder and a gun, that unlike 5.56, actually has real recoil.

So heres my new idea, don't let it touch your shoulder at all. The AR15 is so light and recoils so little that holding it to your shoulder only serves to steady it. Doing barricade drills in the VTAC class, in a number of odd positions I could not shoulder the carbine at all. I was however able to aim and fire effectively just holding the rifle with my hands, since there is almost no recoil it was quite easy.

OP how about holding much like you were going to shoulder it but hold it of your shoulder an inch or two so it doesn't contact you?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    New idea here, and another software suggestion.

So everyone, including me suggested pulling the stock into the shoulder. This is great advice, but honestly it is advice fun an uninjured shoulder and a gun, that unlike 5.56, actually has real recoil.

So heres my new idea, don't let it touch your shoulder at all. The AR15 is so light and recoils so little that holding it to your shoulder only serves to steady it. Doing barricade drills in the VTAC class, in a number of odd positions I could not shoulder the carbine at all. I was however able to aim and fire effectively just holding the rifle with my hands, since there is almost no recoil it was quite easy.

OP how about holding much like you were going to shoulder it but hold it of your shoulder an inch or two so it doesn't contact you?
    That technique requires a strong grip, and generally compression of the front and rear hands, with the rear hand pushing forward.
    Otherwise, the gun will move rearward with more velocity, being generally unpleasant when it comes to rest by hitting the shoulder.
    Think of shotgun shooting.

The original poster has significant strength issues that will preclude certain techniques, such as stretching the gun and floating the stock.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I still think that the best advice for someone in the OP's position is to consult with his doctor and seek out qualified physical therapists. Improving his RSI through strengthening and fixing the cause of the problem with better ergonomics would go a lot further than little tweaks to his gear or technique.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678