Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on helping with recoil on AR 15 5.56

Feedback Score
    I also work at a desk all day, but I try to get some exercise through the day. I have a couple sets of dumbbells that I can do some quick arms and shoulder sets, and I try to hit the deck at least once a day for a quick set of push-ups.

My coworkers take smoke breaks, so I'm not cutting into job time while still getting at least some resistance training.

Would not only help your shooting, this might also help your other issues I'd think...just be smart about it...maybe use bands versus dumbbells...

Take Care,

Buzz

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you'd lead off with what you described in your follow up, the advice may well have been more straight to the point.

Just from a quick Google search, it really does sound like some quality physical therapy and general strengthening could greatly benefit you in shooting (as well as generally). Have you discussed your difficulties shooting with your doctor and/or physical therapist?

Feedback Score
    hell I have shot a humpback browning 12 ga all my life

a .223/5.56 has no recoil at all.

maybe you should try a .22 long rifle

they are lots of fun

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    If you'd lead off with what you described in your follow up, the advice may well have been more straight to the point.

Just from a quick Google search, it really does sound like some quality physical therapy and general strengthening could greatly benefit you in shooting (as well as generally). Have you discussed your difficulties shooting with your doctor and/or physical therapist?
    I have to agree. More info behind the problem to begin with...

The stock on just about every AR I own is the first thing to go in the parts bin. Exceptions are my newer Daniel Defense and their newer stocks. Myself, I prefer the Mako GL Shock. More for it's fit over the Shock (inside spring) part. It "might" ??? take up some recoil on the 5.56, but it does take up some on the 308... I said some. Fits my cheek and shoulder perfect Stay away from the one with the cheek piece. It can and does get in the way of the charging handle and if you have a beard, it's also a hair puller. Magpul also has some better stocks that fit well too. Other choice would be a shotgun vest with the pads, workout to get some strength built back up and the software like suggested.
    Give Me the Eyes of an Eagle.The Courage of a Lion and the Balls of a Combat Helicopter Pilot. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Being lite weight isn't the issue. I have had several 100 pounders fire AR's and not one complained about recoil. The problem is stance. Most lites stand awkwardly to balance out the rifle (pelvis out, upper torso leaning back). I am willing to bet you have some adapted stance due to your physical limitations. Do some one on one with a firearms trainer.

Feedback Score
    Thanks again to those that posted REAL solutions without the attitude. Of course it's simple to say hey you're just weak, workout more, etc. without providing an ounce of helpful suggestions. It must be nice to have a job or life that allows you to get workouts in while on the job or finding time to "hit the gym". Obviously, those people missed the part that said I am in very thin and toned condition, well within my BMI. In fact, my Doctor said I was in excellent physical shape for a man my age. It's just that I have physical problems due to my RSS, otherwise no big deal.

I have enough GOOD advice now from those that were kind to post without being rude. However, I must say I may likely not be around much since it seems there are so many willing to throw insults. Mainly, I noticed it came from those with very few posts themselves, but not exactly a good experience. So, I'm signing off this thread and thank those that did in fact help with some useful advice to try.

Best wishes

Feedback Score
    As others have said, check your technique. My 11 year old son fires my BCM midlength standing and he's never had problems with recoil. I taught him to shoot square to the gun and to pull it into his chest/shoulder junction. The point is your size or your rifle probably aren't the problem. Work on technique.

Also, you might try dry fire practice so you can work on your technique between range sessions. This has helped me immeasurably.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You must have some really thin skin to go with that thin frame. Don't leave out major pieces of the puzzle and get butthurt when people fail to read your mind through text, while still offering completely valid advice to help you with your problem.

Feedback Score
    I just noticed the OP's last post. I was responding to his original one.

"However, I must say I may likely not be around much since it... blah blah blah"

If that's his attitude, he won't do well here.

At this forum you'll find very knowledgeable folks that are more than willing to help you out with useful advice and support. They'll also call you on your bullshit, tell you when you're wrong and when you're being an ass. And I mean "you" in a general sense, not the OP, lest he think I'm somehow insulting him.

Also, let's face it. The first reaction of most folks to an adult complaining about recoil on an AR was "huh?". If you can't take a little ribbing, you might rethink participating in internet forums in general.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsJeff69 View Post
    Thanks to those that took time and offered REAL solutions and not just snarky comments like some.

It's not like I'm the size of a small girl or something. However, the reason why it's an issue at all is due to the fact I work at a computer 8+ hours a day. My hands and both shoulders are in near constant motion. I suffer from RSS (Repetitive Stress Syndrome) and have had to get treatment at times for shoulder and hand issues. I'm not disabled that way, but certainly not like those that don't have RSS due to jobs.
    Precisely because of the RSS, you have more to lose by doing it a little bit wrong on the software side, but being otherwise fit you'll be able to figure it out and run it really well with some proper help. Once that's locked down, I'd look into a buffer/spring combination that minimizes excess rearward motion, then maybe take a look at muzzle devices, or possibly suppressors.

If you're going to judge the quality of available information on the least experienced minority of a forum, the internet isn't going to be a useful source of info for anything except cat pictures. We have one of the best signal to noise ratios, but there isn't a site that has a model baseband signal equivalent.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast