Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Advice on helping with recoil on AR 15 5.56

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    My DD chokes up after a couple 100 rounds, might be that I am running a heavier buffer and once I lose a bit of lube, this us the reason.

Thanks for helping me solve thus puzzle with Wolff

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I agree with most here it's a software problem not a recoil/rifle problem. Man up, my 120 lb wife with Zero meat in the shoulder can an does shoot an AR like a champ without one complaint. Let me guess your "First Firearm"? If you think an AR has recoil have someone let you shoot there 3 1/2" 12ga or 458 Mag! Then you can say you've felt recoil! Maybe you should get a 22LR convert kit if the 5.56mm is to much for you.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post
    My DD chokes up after a couple 100 rounds, might be that I am running a heavier buffer and once I lose a bit of lube, this us the reason.

Thanks for helping me solve thus puzzle with Wolff

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    With Wolf and other steel cased ammo, I run a standard carbine buffer in my DD. I have no problems with the H-buffer on ammo like PRVI Partisan and other brass cased stuff, though...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_247 View Post
    With Wolf and other steel cased ammo, I run a standard carbine buffer in my DD. I have no problems with the H-buffer on ammo like PRVI Partisan and other brass cased stuff, though...
    Lightening the reciprocating components with cheap, readily available parts (S/A BCG's, CAR buffers) can make some guns run Wolf really well, and that's worked in my experience fairly well with that or underpowered brass stuff.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnutAF View Post
    I agree with most here it's a software problem not a recoil/rifle problem. Man up, my 120 lb wife with Zero meat in the shoulder can an does shoot an AR like a champ without one complaint. Let me guess your "First Firearm"? If you think an AR has recoil have someone let you shoot there 3 1/2" 12ga or 458 Mag! Then you can say you've felt recoil! Maybe you should get a 22LR convert kit if the 5.56mm is to much for you.
    Yeah, I'm trying to fathom how it would hurt. I've taken many, many people shooting for the first time with my AR. They all comment on how it's extremely pleasant to shoot. Then again, the other beater rifle I let them use is a mosin
    Last edited by geckcgt; 07-28-14 at 10:24.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geckcgt View Post
    Yeah, I'm trying to fathom how it would hurt. I've taken many, many people shooting for the first time with my AR. They all comment on how it's extremely pleasant to shoot. Then again, the other beater rifle I let them use is a mosin
    An inflamed shoulder isn't near as durable. I can shoot almost anything any time, but when my shoulder is really acting up (usually because I slept on it wrong which will aggravate it like nothing else) it's tough to even shoulder a rifle of any weight. I'm sometimes doubled over by shooting pain just lifting a beer bottle at the end of the day...

When you've got issues like that, any repetitive force on the shoulder can also cause aggravation. I've gone and shot 200 rounds of trap with my 12ga coach gun and felt fine only to awaken the next morning to crippling inflammation. Sad to say, I've experienced the same from an AR. I don't let it stop me, but when you constantly suffer from an irritant like chronic pain, it's normal to seek ways to reduce it. To those that suggest exercise to help: they're absolutely right. If I didn't regularly to overhead presses and shoulder dislocation stretches, I'm certain my shoulder would be frozen by now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiescometh View Post
    I think you missed the part about the op having Repetitive Stress Syndrome.
    What's that like?

There are a lot of current/former real world users with far worse injuries than keyboard wrist and tennis elbow. And still shooting often and well.
    Team Medic, Task Force Zangaro
    "The Cat's Originals"

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
    What's that like?

There are a lot of current/former real world users with far worse injuries than keyboard wrist and tennis elbow. And still shooting often and well.
    That's exactly why I'm concerned for the OP - finding some weird way to load 100% of the recoil impulse into a small enough area to make it uncomfortable should have been an easy fix, but if left unchecked could mean aggravating an existing injury. There ARE lots of folks with far greater challenges to running the gun correctly, but it seems they can find the testicular fortitude to have somebody fill them in on how to do it. Sounds like the OP has decided that being offended about the answers given to the initial post *which makes no reference to a physical issue* takes precedence of solving the problem.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I shoot rifles that really kick, 460 Weatherby magnum, 416 Rigby, 375 RUM, etc. I used to be recoil sensitive and learned to shoot the big stuff by shooting the big stuff i.e. recoil tolerance is learned not genetic. Much as it is fun to posit the idea that recoil tolerance is a measure of manhood it is not. I know some pretty tough hombres that don't want anything to do with my big bores. The only reason I can think of that an AR would hurt is you have it anchored in bone either the shoulder joint or the collar bone. Get it off the bone, bring the butt in and down closer on to the pectoral muscle.

Feedback Score
    Tons of great advice given. Same old negative response back after very little info... Hmmm. Seen the same thing and same responses on other forums with a different new user name with a low thread count...
    Give Me the Eyes of an Eagle.The Courage of a Lion and the Balls of a Combat Helicopter Pilot. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast