Thread: ? for Wyo Hunters

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

? for Wyo Hunters

Yes, we all hear very strange stories at gun shows and firearm stores. Overheard a conversation about hunters from MD & Pa who were hunting with an outfitter in Wyo using Muzzleloaders. The hunters were using .50 cal muzzleloaders with saboted .45-cal bullets and when checked by a WGFD they received a citation for not using .50-cal bullets and had their firearms seized.

I couldn't resit and entered the conversation and wondered why the outfitter wasn't responsible. Of course he didn't know the answer, but agreed the outfitter should have also be cited.

My question: is the hunter required to use .50-cal bullets? If so, who is responsible the outfitter or the hunter? Or is this just another BS story?

Thanks

EDIT: forgot to add they were hunting Bison
    Last edited by platoonDaddy; 07-20-14 at 09:16.

Feedback Score
    I would think a warning would have been in order for using a .50 cal muzzle loader with a .45 cal sabot load.

Wyoming's economy benefits a lot from non resident hunters and this is bad PR.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I don't hunt in WY but that seems extremely excessive if it's even true.

Also. "Hunting" Bison isn't really hunting anymore.. It's more akin to shooting a cow. Just walk on up, pull the trigger.
    But for whatever reason, people want to do it.
    I have a buddy that owns a big exotic hunting ranch in TX, he had a hall of famer athlete that wanted to come hunt a few different animals, including a bison. My buddy tried to talk him out of it as it isn't very sporting, but he insisted. Not that an exotic hunting ranch is all that sporting either.
    Support the NRA

Feedback Score
    Hunted Pronghorn on a 37,000 acre ranch a while back around SW of Belle Fourche. First thing the rancher did when we arrived was look over our rifles, second thing was pick out a few standing targets for us to shoot at. Then he went over the rules, orange hat, properly loaded rifle in the ranch car and the like. Ran across a WYGW but we were with the rancher and it was no more than exchanging pleasantries!

Had a similar experience in NM a few years later on an unguided hunt, I always found the wardens out West to be more hospitable than those in my home State.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDE View Post
    I don't hunt in WY but that seems extremely excessive if it's even true.

Also. "Hunting" Bison isn't really hunting anymore.. It's more akin to shooting a cow. Just walk on up, pull the trigger.
    But for whatever reason, people want to do it.
    As original stated, you hear so much BS in stores and shows, I doubt the validity of the subject, but had to ask.

As for Bison hunting, since I am the OP I will take off topic. Have friends who worked (since retired) for USFWS as Wildlife Biologist and they purchased a Bison to let roam on friends farm. With the intent of advertising back east and making loads of monies. Turned out that the ND winter was very harsh, taking down sections of fence. Therefore they were unable to let it roam the farm, between them they drew on who would harvest the Bison.

John fired off a head shot and felled the Bison. They then butchered the Bison and being biologist they wanted to check out the damage to the brain. Turns out the round didn't penetrate the brain, just knocked the Bison unconscious. Sitting around drinking they always return to the conversation of the unconscious Bison.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    "(g) “Muzzle-loading Firearm” means a muzzle-loading rifle having a barrel bore diameter of at
    least 50/100 of an inch and a charge of at least one hundred (100) grains of black powder or equivalent."

Straight from the Wy wild bison regs. It appears that it could possibly be true, as the regulations require a .50 diameter round.

p.s. the wild bison hunts are usually pretty sporting, as the success rates usually run about 70-80% (sure its not the 10% success rates of Elk, but bison aren't elk either). I mean lets be honest, its not like the American Buffalo was ever a "wily" creature.
    Last edited by J-Dub; 07-23-14 at 12:51.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    "(g) “Muzzle-loading Firearm” means a muzzle-loading rifle having a barrel bore diameter of at
    least 50/100 of an inch and a charge of at least one hundred (100) grains of black powder or equivalent."

Straight from the Wy wild bison regs. It appears that it could possibly be true, as the regulations require a .50 diameter round.

p.s. the wild bison hunts are usually pretty sporting, as the success rates usually run about 70-80% (sure its not the 10% success rates of Elk, but bison aren't elk either). I mean lets be honest, its not like the American Buffalo was ever a "wily" creature.
    Dang, it could be true. Thanks for the info.

Surprised at the 70-80% success rate, thought it would be higher.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    Dang, it could be true. Thanks for the info.

Surprised at the 70-80% success rate, thought it would be higher.
    I think most of it depends on their migration out of the park and refuge, unless you get to hunt on the elk refuge. Don't quote me on that, its just an assumption.

It would be awesome to bag one, even a cow. Just think of the meat you'd get off one!