Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to M4C

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

New to M4C

Hello all,

Now that my membership has been approved, I can introduce myself. I'm currently living in southern Maryland (the irony of gun laws vs. rednecks here is amazing), and while I am not new to firearms, I recently built my first 5.56 AR-style carbine, a 16" carbine length free-float with a 2 stage trigger and Magpul furniture. I'm loving it so far, especially how easy it is to swap out parts as I discover which features I like and don't like. I am also beginning a second build in all FDE, using lessons learned (mainly that I spent way too much money on my first build- although it is a joy to shoot.)

I'm looking forward to using this forum as a venue for questions, and to learn more about the AR style rifle!

-7H

Feedback Score
    Welcome!! You will find that there is a wealth of information on this site from people who know their stuff.....you have plenty of reading ahead.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

My first question: I have a YHM upper on my rifle, and am happy with the quality and accuracy of the piece so far (only about 250 rounds downrange, but zero issues.) However, I can't seem to find any information on the BCG they used in the upper. It's completely unmarked. Can anyone with experience tell me the quality of what YHM uses for BCGs in their uppers? (It is a 16" Diamond Specter XL upper I bought from Midway). The gun is used primarily for target shooting and may be used in the occasional rifle course or low-level competition. No full-auto or rapid-fire- I can't hit the broad side of a barn with rapid fire anyway (unless the zombies are on a ladder... bambambambambam! Got 'em all!)

Reason I ask is that I'm going with a BCM BCG on my next build, and I wonder if I should pick up 2, since they "seem" to be discounted at $169.00 right now. At the very least I would have a spare... thoughts?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by sevenhelmet; 07-22-14 at 16:54.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    To keep things interesting, here is a picture of the top of the BCG... the gas key staking looks pretty good to my untrained eye. What bothers me is the bolt itself is completely unmarked (and yes, I have taken it apart to check). That said, this BCG seems decent enough for how I use the rifle. I saw a 3-page thread here on YHM BCGs, but it didn't seem to reveal a lot of information- so I threw this picture out there for future reference, if nothing else.

Last edited by sevenhelmet; 07-23-14 at 19:53.

Feedback Score
    Can't help with the question, but welcome and congrats on the build.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenhelmet View Post
    To keep things interesting, here is a picture of the top of the BCG... the gas key staking looks pretty good to my untrained eye. What bothers me is the bolt itself is completely unmarked (and yes, I have taken it apart to check). That said, this BCG seems decent enough for how I use the rifle. I saw a 3-page thread here on YHM BCGs, but it didn't seem to reveal a lot of information- so I threw this picture out there for future reference, if nothing else.
    Welcome. I'm not an expert like some on the forum, but you could call YHM and ask. If you cannot get an answer you could repost this in the AR Discussion area where more of the sharpies hang out. Looks to me like a good carrier, the staking looks very good and the gas key looks good probably not a MIM gas key. If the carrier and key are chrome lined inside it probably a decent carrier.

The bolt should at least be stamped MPI, it is probably not a C158 bolt, but you'd have to contact YHM to find out.

The other possibility, if the carrier is good you could buy a BCM bolt alone since that is the most critical component (you should buy a spare cam pin too). Put the BCM bolt in the YHM carrier and keep the YHM bolt for an emergency spare.

Good luck and enjoy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Welcome to M4C!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Welcome! I hope you get as much good information here as I have!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Welcome, this site is an amazing resource. Enjoy!

Feedback Score
    @sevenhelmet What part of MD do you live in?

Anywhere close to Owings Mills? I have a former military buddy living there and we try to get together at least once a year.

On our next visit we plan to go to a range or someplace where we can put a few rounds downrange.
    Would love to meet / have you along.

LMK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast