Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Combat Focus Shooting AAR

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
    Ugh. Okay, step 1, with no guns or mags involved, stand with your hands on your hips. Now, look at your hands. Are your 4 fingers facing forward, with your thumbs behind your hips? Or do you stand like Forrest Gump with your thumb forward?

If you have your 4 fingers forward, then positioning your mags with the bullets forward (and yes, obviously the mag is upside down. I still fail to see how a mag pouch can position the mag with the bullets on top, since the baseplate is always the widest part of the mag) is the most ergonomic way of grabbing the spare mag.

As you reach down for the mag, the bottom of the mag (which is facing up) will end up in your palm, thumb will be behind, forefinger down the front spine of the mag. Pull up, clear pouch, and then just bring your elbow in to your side as you rotate your wrist to bring mag up to gun. If your fingers are long enough, your forefinger tip should be on the tip of that top round in the mag. Insert mag, and then your palm is already on the bottom of the mag (since the time you grabbed the mag in your pouch), so you just slam it home. Done.

Accessing it with bullets facing backward gives you purchase only toward the bottom of the mag, not along its whole length. You also won't naturally be "pointing" with your forefinger into the magwell. It's unnatural and a waste, as is this dude's training, from what I have seen.
    Thanks Hogarth for once again for being a pompous ass. I ask a simple question and you act as if you the unquestionable expert. Just because I was trained differently does not make my method wrong. You know nothing about me. How do you know or not if I carry a certain way because of physical limitations. I guaranty that the way I carry is just as fast, if not faster than the way you "expertly" carry. Don't bother to respond. I'm done with is crap.
    If at first you don't succeed, take a hammer to it. If you break it you probably needed to replace it anyway.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot_Dave View Post
    Thanks Hogarth for once again for being a pompous ass. I ask a simple question and you act as if you the unquestionable expert. Just because I was trained differently does not make my method wrong. You know nothing about me. How do you know or not if I carry a certain way because of physical limitations. I guaranty that the way I carry is just as fast, if not faster than the way you "expertly" carry. Don't bother to respond. I'm done with is crap.
    I did address your comment " I still don't understand with this bullet facing forward thing anyway. " with a vid and asked for some intel on the other technique, which I assume is bullet backward?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    a
    Why not ignore the one contentious post and focus on the more numerous explanatory posts? Don't sweat the small stuff

Feedback Score
    56 (100%)
    Well, for one thing, you didn't mention any physical limitations. If you had said, "guy's, my thumb doesn't work properly, so it makes sense for me to carry another way", I am sure I and others would have been more "understanding". I can't believe I took the time to type up that whole description if all you are going to do is get offended.

Like I said, the day I take another class with Mike Pannone, Paul Howe, Steve Fisher, Larry Vickers, Pat McNamara, etc., and see/hear them touting the benefits of rearward facing bullets, I will try it again. I come to this party having tried mags facing each way. Even if speed is even (and I doubt it, especially if clearing a garment first), going bullets forward ends up with much more of your hand on the mag, critical if your hands are wet due to weather, mud, blood, sweat, etc.

Feedback Score
    56 (100%)
    Last edited by hogarth; 12-02-14 at 22:43.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Okay everybody - breathe.....

And after you have exhaled, stop poking each other in the eye. That part is not a suggestion.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789