Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front sight options

Feedback Score

Front sight options

I have a 14.5" barrel with pinned/welded YMH 5M1. The gun has an MI SS12G2 forend on it, and between the front of the forend and the start of the taper at the end is around .95" (and I'd like a gap between the forend and sight, leaving me .9" max and preferably less). The barrel diameter is .650 there.

Right now I have MBUS mounted on the forend. I pretty much only shoot irons, though, so I'd like to pick up a fixed front sight. I'd also like to mount it to the barrel, mock Dissipator style, so that a sling with some force on it won't throw off POI.

Is there such a thing as a sight that will clamp on there? It would probably need to be 2 piece, or I could remove/replace the muzzle device (would require a mill, but I have access) but even so there's a taper so I'd need a sleeve under it. I'd prefer aluminum, as a steel one all the way out there would probably make it handle a little slower. It's just a toy but that doesn't mean I can't want it light and quick handling.

Thanks for any help.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    So you have a free float rail and want to barrel mount a sight... You are worried about a sling pulling on the rail enough to change POI... You need to find something else to worry about!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If a sling is going to pull the rail enough to throw the poi off, you need a new rail.

Feedback Score
    It doesn't take much motion to throw off POI. Eyeballing it, my sights are ~18" (1.5') apart. If I'm shooting at 150 yards, that's (1.5')(3)(100) or 300 times the distance. If I pull on it hard enough to move the sight 1/100th of an inch, the POI will change by 3 inches. I'd call that enough to matter. Then again, I have no clue how rigid it is, I just pulled a number out of my ass.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have you observed the POI shifting with tension on the rail, or is this a solution looking for a problem?

Feedback Score
    This is mostly that I think I'd like the look with it mounted to the barrel, and some excuses as to why.

Feedback Score
    I don't think you can put a new block on there with a permed muzzle device without destroying the device. I would just shoot it as is. Being good with what you have is way cooler that what you think is "cool" anyways. Then again, I think 14.5" bbls and 12" rails are badass so...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You might be able to get a FSP that'll fit, but you'll have to cut the muzzle device off and probably have holes drilled for the taper pins. Or you could stop trying to find solutions to problems that don't exist and just shoot it.

Feedback Score
    I said I'd prefer 2 piece because that way I could install it without removing the muzzle device.

It's a featureless gun so it doesn't exactly look badass but it works well enough.

I could install something like this: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/386...er-steel-matte and I was looking for something that mounts similarly, but fixed rather than flip and not as long.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So you want to replace perfectly good rail mounted sights with some clamp on nonsense that will most likely give you actual problems? And you want this thing .9" past the end of the rail?

If you wanted to do it right, you could end up with a Kino-ish configuration, but this sounds like clown shoes.
    Last edited by Zim; 07-20-14 at 22:47.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast