Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the EOW getting closer or further away?

Feedback Score
    When Israel rebuilds the Third Temple in Jerusalem, then I look for the end of the world to be imminent. Something will probably have to happen to the Al Aqsa mosque first.

It's interesting that most "TV preacher" types keep hawking the end of the world as right around the corner. I can't recall the two gentlemen's names now, but several years ago an interviewer put a couple of them on the spot and asked them "realistically" how long until the end of the world if the Biblical scenario is true. At least one them was frank in his belief that it probably would not happen in his lifetime.

I wonder what that same preacher would say now?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    You bring up some good points. One thing that you did not take into consideration is that people in the 3rd world already live like that. All of the weaker and inferm have already died off. If this were to happen here, even only on a regional level, this would cause even more problems. Just on an emotional point of view. When the have nots see all of their family dying off and the haves are not dying off as fast it will cause even more problems. Also on an health matter. Who is going to take care of all of the dead? The Gov? Right...........this will cause a huge health concern and make matters worse, much worse. Just remember that the higher you are the longer the fall. If you live without electricity and you lose power.......does it affect you?
    Survival of the fittest (and most prepared) I guess. But you make a good point there.

Actually, I was born and raised in a 3rd world Asian country until I turned 14 and moved to the US. Not all of the weaker and inferm "die off"; many of them i.e. the poor with no money, health insurance, and little food survive a lot longer than most people think. You would be surpised how many hundreds of thousands of people live in slums or in farms with with almost none of the conveniences and luxuries we enjoy here.

Americans are more spoiled in this manner. What will some people do without healthcare or government welfare plans... I don't know. I'm sure many will perish, but that is a consequence regarless of any EOW or SHTF event.

If electricity suddenly was to go out, I'm sure most of the population will be affected including myself. But as of the moment I'm in the process of stocking up on non-perishable food, water, and cooking supplies. Internet, computers, lights, I can probably live without... but that would be inconvenient of course.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ag08 View Post
    amac, I think you are starting to realize that you have been sold a bunch of fear. Sadly, there are many many people and businesses out there selling fear in hopes of getting you to buy their SHTF magical product.

Yes, the US appears to have many negative indicators. However, I think if you really take time to consider the vast and intricate nature of the economy and our society you will realize that it is too large for a precipitous SHTF moment where everything falls apart at once.

Not sure if he is anathema around here but Jack Spirko of The Survival Poscast had several excellent shows basically talking you down off the ledge from the world is going to end mentality. I'll try to look up which episodes.

His basic premise is very logical. Prepare for the "personal disasters" that will be the most likely to affect you. For me, that is a few things in decreasing order of most likeliness. Vehicle accident, job loss, long term injury, wife's job loss, house burns down, parents die, hurricane..............and all the way at the bottom is the end of the world. Have your stuff in order for those smaller things and you will be set for the end of the world. Then, relax, because the end of the world will take a long time barring nuclear war or alien invasions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pretty good advice here. I feel most of my preparations are hurricane related. I've been through my fair share - Katrina being the last biggie. I don't own gas masks, iodine tablets and or a plate carrier. I haven't gone too far down the worm hole. But when I read what the Fed is doing to devalue the dollar and quietly usurp control of the economy, I begin to fear the hidden master plan. : ) The US economy is more fragile than MSM lets out. Intricate, yes. Indestructible, no.

My viewpoint is an economic collapse is the most likely scenario. The numbers just don't add up. A day of reckoning awaits. This isn't an EOW event, but for some, its going to feel like it. For the prepared, it will be the worst job loss scenario you could envision. Ultimately, the gov will strike a deal and seize control of all retirement accounts and write an IOU - in the name of the greater good.

A law was recently passed to change the rules of money markets accounts. The guise is to prevent a panic run on banks. The media says "most" of the money market accounts are those used by big institutions - "most". The new rule says major banks can DENY your withdrawal request and or charge fees if you do - no mention of how much the fee would be. Small steps to usurp financial control.

The intricacies of this economy should be watched carefully.
    Here in America we are descended in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, address, Columbia University, 31 May 1954

Feedback Score
    This thread has developed into one of my favorite threads we've had since I've been reading on a regular basis. I find this conversation the most thoughtful dialogue about the likely possibilities that could threaten the way of life we are enjoying. These comments have provided avenues of thought.

I find myself on the lighter side of things with a small portion inside that fears the worst as a possibility. For where I live I have 2 likely events that I frame it all around: and earthquake taking down services and causing water table to rise temporarily and the economic disturbance (read as "EBT cards get denied and the free shit crowd gets hungry, scared, and then angry/mobilized"). The most realistic and rational part of my brain says these are very good possibilities and will be a problem but the problem is likely to be short lived and containable. The "plan for the worst" part of me says that these could both become prolonged problems turning my city dwelling into a dangerous situation.

I agree with those above that comment on the Federal Reserves manipulation of our economy and currency. I don't profess to be well educated in macro-economics but the whole "prosperity" we are seeing right now in the markets seems like it has to be mostly fake, driven by emotion rather than wealth building. This combined with the Left's perpetual buying of power with expanded gov't programs to be cradle-to-grave nannies for this free-stuff crowd make the sustainability outlook frightening.

So closer or further? I'd say something happening is closer. You pick your something. If I lived on the southern and eastern coasts I'd say the next hurricane is closer. As far as the econ disaster I say closer but I believe it won't be a spiral to the depths of Book of Eli or The Postman. I just don't think it will last that long. Reason being I think people will do what they've done for milenia: seek societal structure and build for a more functional and comfortable way of life. People will try to restore the power and make neighborhoods safe. I don't believe WROL lasts long because the reality is that it is against our very nature as human beings. S may HTF but the fan won't fling the feces forever. Prepare as best we can!
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    Survival of the fittest (and most prepared) I guess. But you make a good point there.

Actually, I was born and raised in a 3rd world Asian country until I turned 14 and moved to the US. Not all of the weaker and inferm "die off"; many of them i.e. the poor with no money, health insurance, and little food survive a lot longer than most people think. You would be surpised how many hundreds of thousands of people live in slums or in farms with with almost none of the conveniences and luxuries we enjoy here.

Americans are more spoiled in this manner. What will some people do without healthcare or government welfare plans... I don't know. I'm sure many will perish, but that is a consequence regardless of any EOW or SHTF event.

If electricity suddenly was to go out, I'm sure most of the population will be affected including myself. But as of the moment I'm in the process of stocking up on non-perishable food, water, and cooking supplies. Internet, computers, lights, I can probably live without... but that would be inconvenient of course.
    I believe Asian cultures has the younger family members traditionally taking care of their older members. Other cultures in America less so, in fact, a lot less so. In fact, the younger American generation are propagandized to feel entitled of their parents/govt to the grave.

This is a very good thread. Lots of well thought out, logical, intelligent, and well-written responses.

Especially, considering the primary focus of this website (M4-type carbines and their use). It is HIGHLY doubtful an M4 carbine with 12 loaded mags will see much daylight in most any of the scenarios realistically described above. Definitely will be lots of the more practical handgun deployment in any future American SHTF scenarios, tho.

There is a blog of an Argentinian prepper who has lived through such a "civilized" economic SHTF decline. Google....definitely worth the read. He eventually evacuated/escaped with his family to a more stable Spain. In fact, I think yesterday, I heard a blurb on the financial channel that Argentina has/about to default again. Argentina has been thirteen years into their latest economic woes so far. Maybe a military coup is coming. Lots of military coup history down there in the Latin Americas.
    Last edited by G19A3; 07-31-14 at 05:07.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    OK, let's get some terms correct. The end of mankind is not the end of the world. Barring some cosmic event, the world will go on without us, much as it did before us. Some even say it would be a better place without us.

And even the EOTW As We Know It (EOTWAWKI) is not the end of mankind. We experience the EOTWAWKI every day - it just happens so slowly that we don't necessarily notice it daily, but do over longer periods of time.

The world as I knew it in the 1940's and 1950's is a much different place today. And the world as I knew it in the 80's and 90's is just a fond memory. The world as I know it today is both a better and a worse place, depending on the topic discussed. Things evolve and some things we like and some we don't. Hopefully, we adjust and mature.

Based on my short life span on this ancient earth, I can only compare what I know, and the current decade, the 10's, feels an awful lot like the 60's to me in the sense of US civil unrest and world turmoil. I didn't think we would get through it (mutually assured nuclear destruction), but we did.

The 80's and 90's were pretty much the golden years for me from a world stability and personal career standpoint. Then came 9/11 and here we go again.

As bad as it is, I really don't see the 10's, so far, as bad as the 60's were, but things could always get worse. But they could get better also. Enjoy the life you have, however long or short it might be, as it is probably the only one you are going to get.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by G19A3 View Post
    There is a blog of an Argentinian prepper who has lived through such a "civilized" economic SHTF decline. Google....definitely worth the read. He eventually evacuated/escaped with his family to a more stable Spain. In fact, I think yesterday, I heard a blurb on the financial channel that Argentina has/about to default again. Argentina has been thirteen years into their latest economic woes so far. Maybe a military coup is coming. Lots of military coup history down there in the Latin Americas.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Modern-Sur...pr_product_top

Very good book. While I'm here, for those amazon junkies, don't forget to use their "Smile" service and set the Second Amendment Foundation as your default donation.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    You bring up some good points. One thing that you did not take into consideration is that people in the 3rd world already live like that. All of the weaker and inferm have already died off. If this were to happen here, even only on a regional level, this would cause even more problems. Just on an emotional point of view. When the have nots see all of their family dying off and the haves are not dying off as fast it will cause even more problems. Also on an health matter. Who is going to take care of all of the dead? The Gov? Right...........this will cause a huge health concern and make matters worse, much worse. Just remember that the higher you are the longer the fall. If you live without electricity and you lose power.......does it affect you?
    All we have to do is look at Katrina as a small example of what a large scale elongated power outage would do during the warmer months INCONUS. The lights went out, the A/Cs stopped spewing refrigerated air, and people who were old, obese, diabetic, and dependent upon things like dialysis expired in short order. 1,833 people died during Katrina, the majority of those fatalities were not from drowning.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'll add something here for thought. Just in the 20th century stuff the magnitude we've never experienced from '70's on. Let's visit some of them:
    Not just one but 2 world wars. The great depression. 1918 before that. Influenza kills about 17 million. Social upheaval of the 60's. Africa has always been fukkked! Middle east ditto. Communism in russia, china, se asia, central and south america, eastern europe.

Any or all this crap could have been EOW... But it wasn't.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This is a very good thread. Lots of well thought out, logical, intelligent, and well-written responses.

Especially, considering the primary focus of this website (M4-type carbines and their use). It is HIGHLY doubtful an M4 carbine with 12 loaded mags will see much daylight in most any of the scenarios realistically described above. Definitely will be lots of the more practical handgun deployment in any future American SHTF scenarios, tho.
    I hear this a lot, while I believe that handguns are an important piece of kit (as they are highly concealable) and have their place in the tool-box they are not as effective as a long-arm at stopping determined people, especially in large numbers and at distance.

I'll simply link this article here as it fits.

Why Do I Need A Rifle?

There is a blog of an Argentinian prepper who has lived through such a "civilized" economic SHTF decline. Google....definitely worth the read. He eventually evacuated/escaped with his family to a more stable Spain.
    Good read and highly recommended.
    The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse

FerFAL's blog:
    http://ferfal.blogspot.com/

Selco is another gentleman who has created his own blog and online community that provides a wealth of knowledge based upon his survival experiences during the Bosnian War.
    http://shtfschool.com/
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 07-31-14 at 21:02.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast