Thread: Final Decision-Please Help

Feedback Score

Final Decision-Please Help

I am presently running a T-1 on my ar but want to move up to a magnified optic. After reading and researching until my eyes bled I have it narrowed down to three options: 1) US Optics SR-4c 2) VCOG-Horse shoe reticle 3) Vortex 1x6 Razor HD JM reticle.
    Most of my shooting is done at closer range 0-200 yards. Rifle is used for range toy/Carbine Classes/SHTF etc..
    Which of the above has the best performance as a RDS?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    The vortex is a horse, but pretty good glass and reticle IMO. I wouldn't necessarily want to carry it all day at a class. Mine stays on an 18" SPR with a bipod. 200+ yards is its purpose.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    If the max distance is only 200 yards, assuming your T1 is 2MOA, I would opt for an Aimpoint 3x magnifier with flip mount.

Feedback Score
    Considered that but don't favor flipping the magnifier in and out of position. 200 isn't my max per se its just that that 0-200 is the distance I usually shoot due range limitations in my area

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rj226 View Post
    Considered that but don't favor flipping the magnifier in and out of position.
    I want to second Singlestacks recommendation, but I'd like to know why you dont favor flipping the magnifier. Personal preference?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Flipping magnifier vs. turning a magnification ring. No difference in dexterity or effort...

Feedback Score
    Yes but as much as I like my aimpoint for close up say 0-50, past that its not usable for me. I had lasix about 12 years ago and I'm getting old, so my eyes suck. My dot looks like a curved bloomy exclamation point. At distance I am sort of just approximating where to hold. I have no problem with regular crosshairs however at longer distances. So my thought is red dot for close up and the crosshair reticle for distance. Is this wrong?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Yes but as much as I like my aimpoint for close up say 0-50, past that its not usable for me. I had lasix about 12 years ago and I'm getting old, so my eyes suck. My dot looks like a curved bloomy exclamation point. At distance I am sort of just approximating where to hold. I have no problem with regular crosshairs however at longer distances. So my thought is red dot for close up and the crosshair reticle for distance. Is this wrong?
    Not wrong, I can empathize where your coming from. My father has his own vision problems for shooting at distance when using EOTec sights so he usually uses a magnifier in a Swivel mount or he uses a rifle scope. Between the three options I would say US Optic SR-4c, followed by Vortex, followed by VCOG.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Again, not wrong.

MorphCross made some good recommendations, but maybe look at a Trij Accupoint, too. Nice 1-4x24 glass.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I can only speak for the Vortex. It is a great optic, very clear, and good illumination. Though, it is too heavy.

Why are you looking at the JM-1 reticle opposed to the VMR-2?

Also, if you are looking at the VCOG, price wise its up there with the Leupold MK6 1-6x, which is the optic I really want to go with.
    Last edited by Zane1844; 07-24-14 at 09:52.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver