Thread: Front End Saiga Conversion

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Front End Saiga Conversion

I did the back end conversion on my Saiga a couple of years ago. The business end is still Saiga Sporter. I know I want to change the front sight base so it can accommodate a muzzle devise. Any advantage to changing the gas block/hand guard to traditional AK or Galil vs the longer Saiga handguard?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I actually prefer the Saiga length handguards. No real advantage to changing out the GB AFAIK.

ETA - take a look at the Carolina Shooter Supply AR style HG.
    Last edited by Hizzie; 07-23-14 at 09:41.
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    The only reason I know of to change out the actual GB is to swap it with one that has the lug that a cleaning rod and bayonet uses.

I also prefer the Saiga length handguards. Only negatives of the actual Saiga hand guard is how it's mounted to the GB and it's not shielded. It will melt eventually and it's only attached to the GB by the 3mm pin. The HG will break before the pin since it's only plastic. That's a very small contact point. It will still take a bunch of abuse. Just not as much as other options.

For Saiga's I'm a big fan of the MI SS extended length hand guards. No mods needed, get to use the stock Saiga gas tube, and you get the extra length. Not cheap though.

Then all you have to do is figure out how to attach a muzzle device. Might get lucky and have a threaded barrel.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Aside from whats been mentioned, the only real advantage I can think of is the ability to attach a light mount like the RS-Regulate BM-1 between the gas tube and the barrel
    Last edited by Ouroborous; 07-23-14 at 16:49.
    ἰδέτωσαν, ἱστορησάτωσαν οἱ ἄνθρωποι ἄνθρωπον ἀληθινὸν κατὰ φύσινζῶντα.

Videant, cognoverunt hominis hominem verum secundum naturam suam viventem.

Let men see, let them know, a real man, who lives as he was meant to live.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like the mentioned handguard options. Really like the traditional AK look as well. I have a threading kit I used on an SKS-M I picked up a few years ago. I'm assuming this would be adequate for the Saiga?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouroborous View Post
    Aside from whats been mentioned, the only real advantage I can think of is the ability to attach a light mount like the RS-Regulate BM-1 between the gas tube and the barrel
    No need for the BM-1 with say a simple polymer SGM quad rail.
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC