Thread: Help identifying this Arisaka?

Feedback Score

Help identifying this Arisaka?

My wife's grandfather was on Iwo Jima with the 5th MARDIV in 1944, and although he had this Arisaka with his Marine memorabilia, I don't think he captured it on Iwo. No crysanthimum (in fact, there's an "D41**" serial number on the left of the receiver), elevation (not flip-up) rear sight, no Mauser type bolt release on the left rear of the receiver, and in fact, the entire rear of the receiver is different. It does appear to be a 6.5, not a 7.7 mm, so likely a Type 38, not a Type 99, varaiant. The dovetailed, split stock, is characteristic of Japanese production, though I wonder if the rest of the rifle is a commercial variant. Any other thoughts as to finding out more about my grandfather's rifle? Thanks for any thoughts/ideas you might have!
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Feedback Score
    I', not an expert on Japanese arms, but I believe you have a type 30, a very early model. If you post some photos on the Japanese forum on Gun Boards you will definitely get some answers as one of the members there has written a book on Arisakas.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, that's a great site.

What I found out (in case anyone was interested) is that this rifle was a Carcano Type I, built by the Italians for the Japanese as a part of the Axis pact, between 1938-1939. About 60,000 made. A Carcano receiver (same rifle used by Lee Harvey Oswald) mated to a Arisaka magazine and stock, in 6.5x 50. Mostly issued to the Imperial Japanese Navy, so it may still have been an Iwo Jima capture, after all

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Great rifle! Even better that its a family piece. Gunboards japanese forum is one of the best places on the web to get info on japanese rifles and militaria. The estimate of 60k made is out of date, from more recent observations the actual number is around 120k, still not a common rifle though.

Being a "D" block it was made by Gardone V.T., one of italy largest military arms makers of the era. These did see use as the japanese navy only sporatically got rifles from the army controlled arsenal system. They were reported to be found on Iwo Jima, Okinawa, Peleliu, Phillipines and in the CBI.

Other collectors I know claim these shoot really well but I havent shot mine since it still has its original and quite fragile leather sling attached. Id like to stumble upon another sometime for shooting purposes.
    Last edited by sgtrock82; 08-09-14 at 12:52.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    That's an awesome piece of family history there! Cool that you were able to get it identified. I love old milsurps, and I can't recall ever seeing a Jap Carcano.
    Last edited by RazorBurn; 09-10-14 at 16:37.