Quote Originally Posted by sewvacman View Post

I was planning to add the parts at my FFL's before I took possession so I can have it registered as an "other". At this point I think I'm going to have to write a letter to the ATF with my intent just to make sure my ass is covered.
Please DO NOT write a request for a clarification letter. This will just give ATF the opportunity to adopt a new position on something that is already well established and potentially screw it up for everyone else. People writing clarification letters are why SBRs are now subject to 922r compliance when they previously were NOT.

Several people (including myself) have explained to you at length why your desired idea is not going to work and we've tried to correct many misconceptions you have. Your wish and desire for things to be different has no bearing on the way things are and ATF isn't going to change their minds in a more "favorable" way because you wrote a letter. At BEST you will get a letter stating what we have already told you.

Your stated intent to "manufacturer" a new firearm prior to taking possession of it then requesting that the FFL incorrectly record the firearm indicate that you simply have no idea what you are doing. There is nothing wrong with not knowing what you are doing, nobody knows everything. But you need to take a moment and understand everything we are trying to tell you.