Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning and servicing ejector

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coldblue View Post
    This:

That's what I do.
    John

If you spend much time around the guys who really, really know their craft, and who truly live this stuff, you tend to find that they are very soft-spoken and modest -- almost to the extreme. To my mind, that is a model worthy of emulation

AC

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    ^That's what I do too. Add a drop of lube periodically and keep working it till it runs clear out the side weep hole. Never remove it unless there is a problem that the above illustrated procedure wont solve.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    I once heard a wise man say that roll pins are one use items...just food for thought.
    Your wise friend was well informed. Roll pins gouge out metal from the holes they are installed in much more so from aluminum than steel. Roll pins are designed to be installed and left alone. I am loathe to remove a roll pin. I have shot thousands and thousands of rounds of 5.45 from my AR, this stuff is filthy and leaves a heavy deposit of primer sealer on the bolt face. If anything was going to give an ejector trouble it is 5.45 but so far, no issues.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 07-24-14 at 19:52.

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Is that document that contains that helpful instruction set available on the Internet? I'd love to have a copy. Good stuff. Never seen it before.

I admit I've done a detail strip on my bolt to the point of removing the ejector, etc.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I once heard a wise man say that roll pins are one use items...just food for thought.
    Very true, they are considered to be a one-time use fastener.....they have also been called "spring pins".
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    And to be clear, I didn't pull that from thin air. I learned that myself many years ago. Someone wiser than me explained how the roll pin was designed and then had me do some practical exercises. One thing I noticed was that the smaller roll pins were less forgiving than the larger ones.

The issue is people are generally lazy about getting parts and having them on hand. They then start tinkering with their weapon and because they don't have new roll pins, they stick the old one right back in. We are talking about something that when purchased in bulk, costs mere cents. The side effect is that certain ones can deadline the weapon and stop it real quick.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post
    Is that document that contains that helpful instruction set available on the Internet? I'd love to have a copy. Good stuff. Never seen it before.
    Download a copy of the M16A2 "-10" Operators Manual. That and several more of my illustrations are contained therein.

https://www.ar15.com/content/webPDF/TM9-1005-319-10.pdf
    ColdBlue sends...
    (CB is David A. Lutz, Lt. Col. USMC (Ret'd) (1968-1991)
    Former (now retired) VP MilOps @ Knight's Armament Company (KAC) (1994-2012)
    "...if you can read this, thank a Teacher,
    if you are reading this in English, thank a Veteran..."

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    The military and aviation community are very well versed on roll pins.
    They are a one use item.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)

Feedback Score
    I remove the ejector and its spring (and clean that channel) about every 2,500 rounds. It's probably not necessary, but I am surprised at how much debris accumulates down there.

I use a new roll pin each time. They are cheap and I stocked up on them a while ago. You should just know that there are at least 2 different length roll pins commonly sold. Also, on some bolts, the roll pin only goes in (and comes out) from one side.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast