Thread: .308 bolt group?

Feedback Score

.308 bolt group?

I'm looking for a little help. I just had my local shop build me a MaTen and it's all complete except for the backordered bolt group. It's a Westfork nib and has been held up in plating (supposedly) for many weeks. They have made several ETA claims but everyone has failed and the latest is first week in August. I have a feeling it will be even longer and well, I'm in MN and summer is short so...

What other brands would be good to use? Is Aero Precision a decent .308 bolt choice? I know I could go with the JP low mass but I'm just not convinced that's the answer. I'm not running an adjustable gas block and want it to run right without having to mess with it and I don't want to spend another two hundred + on a bolt. (I've already budgeted for the westfork)

The build is a MaTen, 16" Mega barrel, JP buffer/silent capture spring. (that's what's important to this question) So what do you all think? Other bolt options?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Since the Mega barrel is a DPMS-style extension, you have several choices.
    1. DPMS
    2. CMMG
    3. JP
    4. Young Manufacturing
    5. Other brand (more off the beaten path manufacturers)

I have used #1-3, with no actual difference in function. Headspace was close enough between all three as well. If you want to get something nice, I would say get a standard weight DPMS carrier (they are available in chrome, too!) and the JP Enhanced bolt, it is the best deal. They have a new "high-pressure" bolt that is the same material, but has a smaller firing pin hole to allow running high-pressure loads with no concern for piercing primers.

For budget, the DPMS or CMMG phosphate BCG works fine and is $100+ cheaper...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Is the LMT 308 BCG a viable option here? Or would that need a new barrel extension?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Anybody know anything about the Radical Firearms 308 BCG? I'm gathering parts for a build and it's not meant to be anything more than a range toy. I find it almost crazy how cheap that BCG is (yeah, I know...cheap isn't usually good).