Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5x45 what is every 1 doing ?????

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Cool 5x45 what is every 1 doing ?????

i have been a big proponet of the platform since day 1.

i am well fixed for the rest of my shooting years
    ammo
    part
    hvy springs
    bbls
    we saw it coming with obama's re-forniication so we bought ammo by the metric ton
    wondering what every 1 else has done ?????
    keepinging
    selling
    storing
    ammo is silly stupid expensive
    all the ammo whores are gouging BIG F-----G SURPRISE

no motive here just curious as to what the world is doing.

jjw

Feedback Score
    If your not vested skip it, is the mentality now. Besides surplus whats left hornady 5.45?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nhskull21 View Post
    If your not vested skip it, is the mentality now. Besides surplus whats left hornady 5.45?

Silver Bear
    Wolf
    Red Army
    WPA
    WPA Military
    Golden Tiger
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    All russian and if obama and puttin get into it more?

Feedback Score
    All russian and if obama and puttin get into it more?
    Well about half of those are made in Ukraine, I doubt that is any better.

But if that dries up then I sell everything during the next panic
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    If your not vested skip it, is the mentality now.
    +1000

Sure you can get commercial 5.45 ammo, but the cost is similar to steel cased .223 from the same former combloc nations, and availability is spottier. 5.45 made sense for a good decade or so when it was ridiculously cheap. Time passes, things change. It wasn't that long ago that .308 surplus was dirt cheap and FAL and G3 mags were nearly free; or that M1 Garands and .30-06 in clips for them was dirt cheap; or quality Chinese AKs and ammo were dirt cheap; etc. etc. If you buy into a cartridge when it's cheap and abundant, stock up for whatever you want to shoot because it won't always be that way.

Oh, yeah, I'm still shooting .22 LR that cost me 2 cents/rd or less. Never imagined its price would shoot so high. Fortunately that is the one caliber that I think will return to close to its pre-panic price, since it's made here and doesn't consume much metal per cartridge.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Toyed about getting into it over the past couple of years, but debated the AR-15 or AK74 route... then when I wanted to go AR-15, the S&W barrels / uppers had dried up... then I almost got into the 74 this past year, but never did.

So I'm kinda glad I didn't, because I wouldn't have enough ammo to make it worthwhile.

Feedback Score
    I have 5 1/2 7n6 spam cans left. I may buy some commercial 5.45 here and there just to shoot to help clean out the gun after I shoot milsurp, but after these 7n6 cans are done I'll be changing the barrel and bolt.

It sucks too, I just got into 5.45 before the BATFE importation ban. A friend of mine was in the middle of a 5.45 build when the importation ban occurred; luckily he was able to cancel his barrel order with no restocking fee or anything.

I guess I'll hold onto the barrel, bolt, and mags incase the Russians invade and there are copious amounts of 7n6 around (or a future POUTS lifts the importation ban).

Pic-

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Burn out the barrel, replace with 5.56 barrel and bolt since steel cased .223 is the same price as commercial 5.45 anyway.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I love that everyone is fine to give up on the caliber, when it's still about 5¢ cheaper a round to shoot commercial 5.45 than 5.56... Fifty bucks per thousand is a price difference, and one that isn't insignificant. Is there a dramatic advantage to building a 5.45 rifle like there used to be? Not as much, but over 10K rounds (one barrel) you're talking about saving the price of buying the replacement barrel twice.

Keep fleeing the caliber, it keeps prices down for the rest of us that are good at math.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast