Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How is the Pagisarism charge against Senator Walsh playing in MT?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Yup. Dems have until the middle of the month sometime to nominate another candidate.

There really aren't a lot of national-level political folks in Montana. So they have got their work cut out for them. Apparently some folks were trying to 'draft' Jeff Bridges.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am deeply saddened that the big Lebowski has chosen not to enter Montana's Senate race.

He had me at "dude!"

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    The New York Times (of all outlets) presented a pretty interesting analysis of Walsh's thesis: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...rism.html?_r=0

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmguy View Post
    The New York Times (of all outlets) presented a pretty interesting analysis of Walsh's thesis: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...rism.html?_r=0
    In looking over that analysis, I think Walsh may have gotten a bum rap. The errors of attribution seem to me, as a layman and not an academic or professional editor, to involve sloppy style rather than intent to plagiarize the work of others. The paper is replete with footnotes, so it's difficult for me to see Walsh as trying to take credit for someone else's work product.

I've got a MS degree. I wrote my fair share of research papers. And I don't know if my work could stand up to this sort of editorial dissection. Graduate work at the master's level does not involve much original work; it's fundamentally a lot of research and compilation of previously published material. I knocked together countless papers by doing a thorough literature search, accumulating a stack of journal articles, and assimilating bits and pieces to illuminate my subject. I always referenced the original works, footnoted quotes and key ideas, and made every attempt to credit the original author. But I have no doubt that someone subjecting my work to this same level of scrutiny might find similar errors.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Walsh. The Army War College is going to investigate the issue and will render it's own conclusions. But, at first blush, I'm inclined to think the NYT did a hit job on Walsh and the rest of the media seized on the "plagiarist" label and ran with it. When I hear the word plagiarism, I think of someone ripping off someone else's work and presenting it as wholly original with no mention of another's contribution. Given the frequency of footnotes and the bibliography in Walsh's paper, I have a hard time equating his transgressions to those of a newspaper columnist stealing another writer's article or a politician copying someone else's stump speech.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Believe you are onto something montanadave, reference his campaign staff reply:

“Senator Walsh included 96 citations for a 14-page paper at the U.S. Army War College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. He acknowledges the citations were not all done correctly, but that it was an unintentional mistake.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ect-citations/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12