Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Night Sight usefullness

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    The FO rod is too fragile for duty or carry.
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    If you are holding the light in such a way that it also illuminates the pistol while lighting up the target, then yes you wouldn't be able to see the tritium very well.

But that would be an issue of learning to use the light in a different manner such as Harries.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How so?

I have had a dawson fiber optic front sight on one of my Glock 19s (the other runs straight black sights) for at least 3 years of daily carry in all sorts of environments without a single issue.

And if the fiber optic falls out...the sights still work fine.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BooneGA View Post
    How so?

This may be so, however, if you drop the gun, bang it on something you are more likely to damage the exposed f/o. This makes it inherently more fragile than an inclosed tritium vial or brass bead.

Keep in mind duty guns take more abuse than you average ccw.
    Last edited by Guns-up.50; 07-24-14 at 19:19.
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Wishing they weren't tritium, and having actually needed the tritium are very different things.
    Yeah; I should have clarified and stated that during felony traffic stops at night, dynamic search warrant services at night (or where reduced illumination is present), building searches, training in shoot houses, etc I never said that I wish tritium wasn't in my sights.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post

If you are worried about being able to see at night of during low lights conditions in your home install LED night lights in every room. Helps when you get up to go to the bathroom, get a snack or take the dog out after bed time.

Paul
    ...then time yourself getting a good 100% positive sight picture in a high stress situation with said lighting.

Just running around the house, on a cloudy day with lights off(dry runs?), tritium is extremely usefull. Total dark, you will have a light to shadow the sights, but tritium still helps keep them aligned with lights out. Bright - no need. The in-between lighting (which seems to be most of the time) is where they are worth their price 5x over IMO. I've never had a problem picking up my ameriglo idot pros. Cant say the same about my factory sights.

I can see stuff, like boxes, furnature, people, etc around the bedroom at night, but I cant make out sights without struggle. I do not want to struggle with a stranger coming up the stairs, and I may not want to use a light depending on the situation.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-24-14 at 22:51.

Feedback Score
    There are some folks who may disagree with this statement.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=8613
    "Guns are like neurosurgeons. When you need one, you need one badly."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Im well aware of the abuse duty weapons take. However, My pistol is in a holster 99% of the time with the front sight completely protected. The only time my pistol has seen true abuse was in training. I have owned that Glock 19 since 2004 and somehow in 12+ training classes and shooting biweekly the F/O hasn't managed to break.

In that same period of time I have seen several tritium vials either break or go bad. They are fairly fragile themselves, being a container filled with H3 gas. And again, on the 1/Million chance that either of them break, the sights still work fine in most instances. With a WML they are somewhat redundant (But I believe in redundancy) so I think the fragility of F/O sights. Also reference the article and comments section posted above.

Rick

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Staying on topic-remember that my issue as i am getting older and am doing more IDPA is that the night sights are just becoming less visible in dark rooms. It seems that simply lighting the slide and the target is more effective. I had not thought of the in between times where there is diminished light. I guess in my experiece in IDPA its either light or totally dark. What NCPatrolAR said answered my question in that there exists those times where there is darkness and some amount of ambiant light. At those times the tritium is helpful.
    Last edited by PLCedeno; 07-25-14 at 10:11.
    NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Admitted New York State Bar 1994

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BooneGA View Post
    How so?

I have had a dawson fiber optic front sight on one of my Glock 19s (the other runs straight black sights) for at least 3 years of daily carry in all sorts of environments without a single issue.

Same here. I even use a VG 2 frequently, no issues.

AND I use an adjustable rear, which seems to be a point of contention with some people.

I find tritium virtually worthless. Can't see the glow unless your eyes have adapted (like you just woke up), and then once you hit any significant amount of ambient light I can't see the glow anymore. When you can see the glow, you end up seeing the back one more than the front.
    Dogma is failure - Ken Hackathorn

Only performance counts - Paul Sharp

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast