Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GSW/blow-out kit components - best bang for the buck

Feedback Score

GSW/blow-out kit components - best bang for the buck

I'm currently trying to put together a set of kits (about 20) for a number of people on a fixed budget (about $300). The budget is such that the "buy once, cry once / two is one" approach is not going to work - some people would end up with nothing. Increasing the budget is not an option. So I would dearly like recommendations for what are the cheapest things that will provide a workable modicum of care. As an illustration, right now I'm thinking a TK4 tourniquet/ Israeli Field Dressing / Kerlix Gauze, which gets me to around $15 or so, but I would dearly love to hear from some SME.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What's the level of training of the intended users?

Feedback Score
    None to begin with. I'm hoping to be able to arrange a presentation on how to use the components.
    Last edited by Chatterbox; 06-14-14 at 04:06.

Feedback Score
    We have Oleas bandage's in our Active Shooter and and daily jump bags. They are modular and will eliminate the need for an additional occlusive which should be there and additional Kerlix while being I believe more effective then the Israeli. We get them from www.tacmedsolutions.com and at $6.95 each it really helps the city's budget crunchers. That site has good training videos too for helping your people get valuable information.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEwD...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by rli7275; 06-14-14 at 06:07.
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see"
    Ronald Reagan,1988
    Oathkeeper

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox View Post
    None to begin with. I'm hoping to be able to arrange a presentation on how to use the components.
    Some bandaids and some kerlix oughta do it then. Untrained or casually-trained personnel mainly need to know how to apply pressure to something that's squirting blood, and how to use their cell phone to call trained personnel. They don't need a gunshot wound/"blow-out" kit.
    Last edited by Hmac; 06-14-14 at 12:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Some bandaids and some kerlix oughta do it then. Untrained or casually-trained personnel mainly need to know how to apply pressure to something that's squirting blood, and how to use their cell phone to call trained personnel. They don't need a gunshot wound/"blow-out" kit.
    In some situations one or both of those (cell coverage / trained personnel ) may not be available for significant period of time, on the order of hours. Does that change your recommendation in any way?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    In some situations one or both of those (cell coverage / trained personnel ) may not be available for significant period of time, on the order of hours. Does that change your recommendation in any way?
    Tourniquet. No sharp instruments.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Tourniquet. No sharp instruments.
    No sharp instruments - meaning no suture kits and the like? Or are you concerned about the patient removing the tourniquet due to pain?

Sounds like the combination of Oleas bandage (which is both a pressure dressing and gauze, as far as I understand) and TK-4 would fit the bill.
    Last edited by Chatterbox; 06-14-14 at 16:45.

Feedback Score
    Gloves?
    CPR mask?
    Sudafed/Epi-pen?
    Tweezers?
    Duct tape?

Far more likely to need stuff like this than pressure bandages.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    No sharp instruments - meaning no suture kits and the like? Or are you concerned about the patient removing the tourniquet due to pain?

Sounds like the combination of Oleas bandage (which is both a pressure dressing and gauze, as far as I understand) and TK-4 would fit the bill.
    The ability to apply a hands-free pressure bandage could be valuable if we're talking hours. Likewise, a tourniquet. Both are suitable for relatively safe use by minimally-trained people.

I can't envision a scenario where, even given a several hour delay, a suture kit would be important, nor scalpels, needles or any other cutting instrument beyond a pair of blunt scissors.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast