Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tourniquet and Hemostatic Agent use by Red Cross First Aid Trained Layperson

Feedback Score
    I recently had the opportunity to take a basic gsw aid class. The club I belong to sponsored it and it was a bare bones down and dirty class. The breakdown was pressure on the wound, whatever the quickest most efficient way. They did supply ifak with a tourniquet and did show us how to apply them. The instructor felt if it was a extremity wound a good option was to go with the tourniquet. Given the new information and the odds of it taking no more than a hour to receive treatment makes it viable. We had a lengthy discussion on clotting agents. The consensus was the risks aren't worth the rewards. Again typical response times in a city would not require something like that and proper pressure and wound packing are just as effective. The caveat would be extend response times such as hunting in the north woods of Wisconsin, or any remote locations where treatment times could be in the hour plus range. I found the class informative and worth the cost. I will need additional practice and reading to apply the knowledge.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I love this thread. So much real world experience.

My only real world experience, regardless of mil training, was when my mom took asprin and then cut herself on her neck somehow. Tiny cut, but pressure and bandages would not stop the bleeding over the course of The Dark Knight.

So I used some over the counter "artificial clotting agent" from CVS since it was a small cut. It worked of course, being designed for people on asprin and all. I'm pretty sure my combat gauze would have worked too, but that'd be ridiculous.

I don't think that saved her life because her life probably wasn't in any serious danger, but it's something to think about if you or others take blood thinners.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 10-21-14 at 12:48.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123