Thread: Midwest Industries Front Sight

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Midwest Industries Front Sight

In the search for a folding front sight tower I recently came across this front sight tower from Midwest Industries. I have been looking into the Vltor folding front sight, as well as the KAC folding front sight, but there were hang-ups with both. The MI seems to be a reasonable priced alternative, and I was wondering if anyone has any opinions and experience with it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
    In the search for a folding front sight tower I recently came across this front sight tower from Midwest Industries. I have been looking into the Vltor folding front sight, as well as the KAC folding front sight, but there were hang-ups with both. The MI seems to be a reasonable priced alternative, and I was wondering if anyone has any opinions and experience with it.
    I had one, it is certainly usable, actually very nice, but I must say Troy is better hands down. Even more awesome are Troy sights with LaRue's logo on them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think you are confusing this with a rail mounted BUIS, in which case I would definitely go with the Troy to match my rear BUIS and be done with it. This is a barrel mounted replacement for a FSB. Thank for the reply though!

Feedback Score
    What were the issues that you saw with the VLTOR and KAC?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by silver05 View Post
    What were the issues that you saw with the VLTOR and KAC?
    The Vltor is purely asthetic, but it the 1913 rails on either side really bug me. Just seems like something to get snagged on something else.

The KAC is really nice being pinned and all, but $$$, and there's only ONE certified installer out there. Kind of a pain I don't want to deal with.

Feedback Score
    Using the barrel mounted one from MI sure does limit your handguard options, though. You are basically stuck with a regular length handguard, so why bother with changing the front sight?

I guess you can get it just so it folds, but it seems like a waste of effort to me. I'd either keep the fixed one, or go with a low profile gas block and a detachable flip-up front sight on a longer railed FF handguard. Heck, save some money and shave your FSB into a lowpro.

(eta: You DID ask for opinions... )

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The reason why I would like a folding front site is I have an ACOG TA33-8 and the FSB does show up a little in the bottom of the sight picture. Not show stopper by any means, it's still my favorite 10-300 yard optic, but it is a little annoying. I have been tossing the idea of a longer railed forend and a flip up BUIS (see my 9" OMEGA thread). However, even though it's not the kool aide of the week, I like the barrel mounted front sight. I don't know why I bothered explaining myself. I was just asking opinions of this piece of gear, not opinions on my intended set-up. For one I don't need the extra rail space afforded to me from a mid-length rail, the carbine length rail I currently have provides plenty of space for my G2/VTac and VFG. Besides, I think I may have learned a thing or 2 about my setup preference during the 26 months I spent in the sandbox.