Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my first AR-15

Feedback Score

my first AR-15

i found this barrel on gunbroker.com
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=430945524

pix645845011.jpg

New 14.5" M4 profile Ar-15 barrel chambered in 556. 1/7" twist, made of 4140 chrome moly, gas port hole drilled, .750 at the gas block, no taper pin holes, barrel extension (with m4 feed ramps) installed, headspaced, and indexed, not chrome lined, black phosphate finish.

i was wondering if it would be worth buying?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    There is no shortage of barrels which claim to be 5.56 chambered with correct dimensions everywhere... which aren't.

On a purely budget build, maybe, but for a first AR, get something as a complete barreled upper (or complete rifle outright).
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Well I have a upper receiver already from veltor

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Wow. No idea who made it. No stampings shown. No info on inspection/testing procedures. Maybe the "hillbilly" makes them in his garage. Tough decision.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    Yup from what I was reading in his comments they work well but you never know. But I might get one just to test it out and post my results on here.

Feedback Score
    I'd pass if it were me. There are plenty of good offerings right now from trusted vendors. Choose wisely so you don't have to buy twice. Just at a glance, the gas port seems it may be a little oversized as well so I'd definitely ask. JMHO
    Last edited by ryantx23; 07-25-14 at 19:49.

Feedback Score
    Very true the old rule measure twice cut once

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by silverscor24 View Post
    Yup from what I was reading in his comments they work well but you never know. But I might get one just to test it out and post my results on here.
    Geez, I was being facetious. Run, don't walk away from this one. You can find an affordable barrel from a known vendor With lots of on-linereviews from users. All you know of this barrel is that the seller can type.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by uffdaphil View Post
    Wow. No idea who made it. No stampings shown. No info on inspection/testing procedures. Maybe the "hillbilly" makes them in his garage. Tough decision.

It is a tough decision. In fact sadly the "unspecified" return policy makes it even tougher, I'll just have to relent and say golly.

Sarcasm aside Silver there are sound reasons to pass on this particular opportunity. Hillbilly could just be horrible at promoting his high quality products but either way you can do better.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by silverscor24 View Post
    Very true the old rule measure twice cut once
    It goes well beyond that - simple things like not measuring and accounting for tool life can be the difference between a rifle that runs and a jam-o-matic.

When I said a complete upper, I meant it's still smarter to buy one that's already got the barrel and barrel nut installed. For the cost of the tools to do so properly, it'll probably be simpler to have somebody else do that (ADCO, for example). That, or buy a complete rifle, again until you've been around these things enough to diagnose issues yourself, it becomes time-consuming and expensive (ammo, parts, shipping, etc.) to make them work if you don't have a working example to compare to.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast