Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HK VP9 vs HK P30 V1

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I agree that the VP9s simplified takedown is a nice thing, but not a reason to choose it over the P30. On the other hand, it is better than the P30's arrangement--just not a big deal.

Why do you think the Vp9's rail is a step down?

Individual perception of recoil is a tricky thing. I feel that the VP9 recoil on par with my M&P and my buddies' G17. I always felt my M&P had less recoil than my P30.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    There are several arguments made in favor of VP9 that don't hold water. P30 disassembly is not more complicated than that of a myriad of pistols that require slide stop to be pushed out. VP9's rail is a step down comparing to P30's. OP states that VP9 has "more noticeable recoil" but that's no problem, right? And a conclusion that P30 is obsolete because of the above?

BTW, an impartial obsever would notice that p30 slide release levers allow for more options.
    No offense, but your remarks strike me as simply sour grapes from a P30 user o owner who just didn't like somebody dissing the P30 a bit, but ... to each his own.

I for one very much appreciate the much easier take down process on the VP9, and the OP did not mention what, in my opinion, is the BEST feature, a better handgun overall, better trigger system, at less cost than the P30, Bud's discount price on the P30 is still $850! You can get a VP9 for around $600.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post

Why do you think the Vp9's rail is a step down?
    Muzzle end of rail doesn't do anything. On P30 they have removed unneeded material, reducing a bulk and slimming down that muzzle end on a slant for ease of holstering. It is a more desirable profile that is standard on some guns or is custom modded on others. On VP9 it is gone in favor of a streamlined vertical cut, probably another area where they reduced their costs.
    Obviously, this is a very minor point and it wouldn't have been mentioned if not for OP's nod to VP9 on rail's account.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I doubt it saves any money to mold the rail one way or another (although I have to admit, I have no expertise in plastic molding). I figure H&K got burned so bad on the HK45c's short rail they decided to err on the side of caution. I agree, we are getting into some pretty esoteric stuff now!

I think the VP9 is just a different pistol--more in line with modern American tastes. The P30, especially in the std LEM and DA/SA is more oriented towards traditional European concerns about negligent discharges and administrative handling. Glock, as far as I can tell, originally intended his pistol to be carried empty (in the normal European military fashion) so he realized that the safety was redundant. Then people start carrying Glocks cocked and unlocked and everybody sort of got used to safteyless pistols. H&K, who primarily focused on police and military contracts ignored this trend up until they engineered the LEM system (always an afterthought add-on to the old DA/SA system). With this gun they seem like they are interested in giving the "Volks" what they want whether it is a good idea or not.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    I know I may get my pee-pee slapped for starting yet another VP9 thread, but I figure this one will differentiate itself from the rest.

I own both the HK P30 V1 (Light LEM) and the HK VP9. These are comparable in aesthetics and some function, but the maid difference is in the operating system; VP9 is striker fired and P30 V1 is a light DAO hammer-fired..
    If you are going to compare a P30 against a VP9 for accuracy, you should be comparing the P30S or the P30LS--handguns that allow cocked and locked carry for a cocked and locked first shot.

It is not accurate to compare a light DAO trigger against the striker fired VP9, which has one of the best striker fired trigger pulls out there.
    Last edited by Ed L.; 07-26-14 at 15:51.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Muzzle end of rail doesn't do anything. On P30 they have removed unneeded material, reducing a bulk and slimming down that muzzle end on a slant for ease of holstering. It is a more desirable profile that is standard on some guns or is custom modded on others. On VP9 it is gone in favor of a streamlined vertical cut, probably another area where they reduced their costs.
    Obviously, this is a very minor point and it wouldn't have been mentioned if not for OP's nod to VP9 on rail's account.
    The only thing I can think of is because the Surefire series of lights use a 'pressure system' to fit (ie they push against the trigger guard and the face of the rail), and the rail is under a constant load, the extra material is there for support.

But, I don't know of anyone who had an issue with this on the P30 guns so not sure if it was really warranted.
    Last edited by Talon167; 07-26-14 at 15:52.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    If you are going to compare a P30 against a VP9 for accuracy, you should be comparing the P30S or the P30LS--handguns that allow cocked and locked carry for a cocked and locked first shot.

It is not accurate to compare a light DAO trigger against the striker fired VP9, which has one of the best striker fired trigger pulls out there.
    Are we talking mechanical accuracy or inherent accuracy with each platform? If we're talking mechanical I'm willing to bet that they are both extremely similar in this regard, IE very accurate. If we are talking about inherent accuracy with each platform, then the VP9 will give the illusion of being "more accurate" to the shooter because the trigger is easier to manipulate. So in fact it is not "more accurate," it's just easier to shoot accurately than the P30 LEM due to being striker fired vs. DAO.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I assume that a person and not a robotic trigger pulling machine with a ransom rest shot the comparison groups between the P30 and the VP9 in this thread.

In other words, in the comparison in this case, don't complain that a trigger that is heavier and harder to pull yields larger groups.
    Last edited by Ed L.; 07-26-14 at 18:34.

Feedback Score
    Very good comparison. Thanks for the post man. Always glad to read this stuff and appreciate the time and effort one puts into it.
    "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I assume that a person and not a robotic trigger pulling machine
    Super Dave?

Christopher Columbus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast