Thread: Saiga Conversion...worth it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Saiga Conversion...worth it?

So I may be making a trade for a 7.62 Saiga sporter. I am not super knowledgeable about the Saiga sporters, but I would be converting it. Is there a good place to send it to that will professionally convert it? I really don't have access to drill presses or the proper tools...

OR is it a better idea just to buy an actual AK clone...
    -

Evey -- Are you like a...crazy person?
    V -- I'm quite sure they will say so.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not sure about the universe" -- Einstein

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Animal_Mother556 View Post
    So I may be making a trade for a 7.62 Saiga sporter. I am not super knowledgeable about the Saiga sporters, but I would be converting it. Is there a good place to send it to that will professionally convert it? I really don't have access to drill presses or the proper tools...

Done right, the conversion will yield a fantastic rifle. If you're not comfortable doing it, there's no shame in sending it off to be done. Rifle Dynamics, and many others can do the work. Some smiths are really good and affordable, but it can be a crapshoot. Check some of the other sites like the AK Forum and poke around about who's a recommended place at the moment (I do my own work on them, so I'm not sure who's good and available right now).

Good luck!
    Crossing the Noobicon

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    As of this week the President of the United States has BANNED the importation of ALL rifles from Russia. If you have a chance at picking one up at a good price/fair trade jump on it. They ones in the wild will only being going up in price.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    You can check out Saiga Forums. They can give you the dirt on anyone working on Saiga rifle or shotguns.
    This soldier should not be allowed North of the Light Line.
    CPT HM

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The hardest part was drilling and tapping for bullet guide installation. FWIW, buy and use quality drill bits and taps, your kinda screwed if the tap breaks off in the hole you drill for bullet guide. And take your time. its kinda cool to be able to do the conversion, plus you can save money towards ammo.
    Last edited by onado2000; 07-27-14 at 21:18.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Animal_Mother556 View Post

The conversion is absolutely worth it if done correctly.

If you don't have the proper tools then send it off to a competent gunsmith/company to do it for you. Look in the AK/Saiga forums, or ask around your area if there are any gunshops that do Saiga conversions.

I've owned 2 Saiga's, a 5.45 that's fully converted, and a 7.62x39 with a basic (rear) conversion. IMO the front-end is not really necessary to convert unless you really wanted to. But the rear-end conversion is almost a must as it will move the trigger and grip closer to the mag release, and gives you a more proper AKM look.

For reference, Here is a comparison of my Saiga47 (rear conversion only, with mods) and Saiga74(stock) that is fully converted. The non-converted front end of the Saiga47 does not bother me and it still handles just as good as the regular AK handguard.

If you want to skip all that hassle and just buy an AKM, then get an Arsenal, O-Pap, or a milled Centurion39.