Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pros/Cons of Different Light Locations?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Question Pros/Cons of Different Light Locations?

In the past I've run my lights at 12 o'clock or slightly to either side. During nightshoots I've noticed backscatter from the muzzle exhaust which can momentarily obscure the target.
    Someone suggested mounting the light at 6 o'clock so the bbl shadow is straight up to avoid the exhaust backscatter effect. While this sounds intriguing, it would also necessitate a bayonet lug mount for my TLR-1 HL and that would transfer a lot of bbl heat directly to the TLR-1 HL.
    So, does a 6 o'clock location reduce/eliminate backscatter and would a bayonet lug mount transfer enough heat to damage the TLR-1? Thx...
    Tomac
    "His Universe, His rules." - Tomac

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    That sounds ridiculous. It's not gonna transfer eonough heat to make any difference.

My mini scout has been mounted right next to a battlecomp and the lens takes the brunt of the concussion and heat .

As far as the muzzle exhaust obscuring target??? Move. You shouldn't be standing in one spot anyway.

While the shadow may be annoying, it's just that.

Personally, I have tried my lights in every position... It comes down to preference,
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCmJUnKie View Post
    That sounds ridiculous. It's not gonna transfer eonough heat to make any difference.
    My mini scout has been mounted right next to a battlecomp and the lens takes the brunt of the concussion and heat .
    As far as the muzzle exhaust obscuring target??? Move. You shouldn't be standing in one spot anyway.
    While the shadow may be annoying, it's just that.
    Personally, I have tried my lights in every position... It comes down to preference,
    The reason I mention heat is that I briefly experimented w/a GG&G combo sling/light mount that attaches to the FSB. The aluminum body of the TLR-1 became uncomfortably warm due to direct heat transfer from the bbl to the FSB to the GG&G mount to the TLR-1. W/the bayonet lug being even closer to the bbl (literally attached to it) I have to wonder if direct heat transfer could damage either the TLR-1 or its batteries.
    Tomac

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The only thing I could see being a problem is the plastic mount under the TLR-1 being mounted directly to a gas blOck. Those lights get pretty hot if they are left On for too long. Ive never had nor have I heard any problems
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCmJUnKie View Post
    Do you move after every round you fire? What if he's behind cover?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP, I'm sure barrel length, position on hand guard compared to length of barrel, ammo selection, and even muzzle device would be factors in the amount of gas you experience. You'll probably have to experiment with different position to find what works best for you.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    OP, I'm sure barrel length, position on hand guard compared to length of barrel, ammo selection, and even muzzle device would be factors in the amount of gas you experience. You'll probably have to experiment with different position to find what works best for you.
    I'm willing to experiment (hence this thread) but my biggest concern is direct heat transfer w/bbl shadow & gas obscuration being secondary. My 6920's get very hot after only a few drills and as I mentioned earlier w/the GG&G mount the TLR-1 was uncomfortably warm (not hot enough to burn but hot enough to make you want to snatch your hand away). A bayonet lug light mount would transfer even more heat directly to the light and I'd rather have a working light in a less satisfactory location than a heat-damaged light in a better location.
    Tomac

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP what is your current rifle set up? Barrel length, handguard/FSB/rail/iron set up? Might may offering suggestions easier if we know what you are working it.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I assume your running standard hand guards? I realize it's not the most economical solution, but maybe a longer hand guard. Something with a front sight cutout if you don't want to go with a lopro gas block.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    gases will cloud the general area around the gun no matter where you mount the light. you do need to move to get around the spend gases.

as for the light taking a hit from gases, it should be fine.

on the topic of maintenance you should coat the lens with a light coat of oil in order to ease cleaning the carbon (lead for shotguns) build up from the spent gases. if you do not you will spend a lot of time scraping and buffing the lens with cleaners.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast