Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAR Tactical Shotgun I at Asymmetric Solutions USA

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)

AAR Tactical Shotgun I at Asymmetric Solutions USA

I had a great time at Asymmetric Solutions USA's Tactical Shotgun I a week or so ago and thought I'd offer this AAR.

We gathered up with some of the ASUSA staff and in the morning spent most of our time reviewing the basics of tactical shotgun use and functionality, practicing various positions and manipulating the safety and getting it up and on target rapidly, moving from various holds. I was brand new to this kind of shotgun use, having only noodled around on my own with my Remington 870 Police Magnum and doing a bit of sporting clay shooting.

This was all new to me and I soaked up every minute of the training.

With snap cap dummy rounds we spent a lot of time on tactical reloads, emergency reloads and quickly chambering rounds, practicing putting a "slug" in quickly, if need be, from the side saddles or bandoliers we had for the day.

The training was very careful, very useful and very student-friendly, with no macho BS, just solid training, lots of good corrections, one-on-one and positive reinforcement and criticism where needed and necessary, it was great stuff.

The afternoon session, from 12:30-5:30 was devoted to a LOT of shooting, with a lot of drills putting into practice what we had been going through in the morning, fun times, with lots of drills.

I think many of us enjoyed the "slug shooting" portion of the day where we were able to square up against relatively small steel torso targets about about forty yards away and banged away with slugs. Talk about a nice big "boom" and plenty of "felt recoil" good stuff.

We spent a lot of time drilling on speed reloading with the constant mantra of "feed the beast" at every possible opportunity, learning how to get fresh rounds into the magazine when we could, or emergency reloading, overhand, into the chamber as fast as possible.

My favorite drill was the "Rolling Thunder" drill where six or seven us of had to fire one round, to the next guy, who fired one, and so forth, while we reloaded as fast as possible, then two, two, two, etc then three, three, etc. then four, four, four and five, five, five, down the line, a great drilling for some stress testing of reloading skills. I totally blew it the first time, did better second time.

Also learned the hard way that my Remington 870 Police Magnum does NOT like Fiocchi dove loads, but chewed through Winchester AA with no problems. 00 Buck was no problem at all, the slugs worked great. Not sure my shoulder would have enjoyed more than about forty rounds of it though.

I left feeling much more confident that I know what I need to be practicing and drilling to further refine what had been taught.
    Last edited by ptmccain; 07-28-14 at 19:05.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Just curious. Are you the only one that attends the training there?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    If you are ever in the STL Metro area, I'd be happy to take you out and let you check the place out for yourself.

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    The other thing I quickly realized is the advantage of a mag tube that holds more than four rounds.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post
    I had a great time at Asymmetric Solutions USA's Tactical Shotgun I a week or so ago and thought I'd offer this AAR.

We gathered up with some of the ASUSA staff and in the morning spent most of our time reviewing the basics of tactical shotgun use and functionality, practicing various positions and manipulating the safety and getting it up and on target rapidly, moving from various holds. I was brand new to this kind of shotgun use, having only noodled around on my own with my Remington 870 Police Magnum and doing a bit of sporting clay shooting.

This was all new to me and I soaked up every minute of the training.

With snap cap dummy rounds we spent a lot of time on tactical reloads, emergency reloads and quickly chambering rounds, practicing putting a "slug" in quickly, if need be, from the side saddles or bandoliers we had for the day.

The training was very careful, very useful and very student-friendly, with no macho BS, just solid training, lots of good corrections, one-on-one and positive reinforcement and criticism where needed and necessary, it was great stuff.

The afternoon session, from 12:30-5:30 was devoted to a LOT of shooting, with a lot of drills putting into practice what we had been going through in the morning, fun times, with lots of drills.

I think many of us enjoyed the "slug shooting" portion of the day where we were able to square up against relatively small steel torso targets about about forty yards away and banged away with slugs. Talk about a nice big "boom" and plenty of "felt recoil" good stuff.

We spent a lot of time drilling on speed reloading with the constant mantra of "feed the beast" at every possible opportunity, learning how to get fresh rounds into the magazine when we could, or emergency reloading, overhand, into the chamber as fast as possible.

My favorite drill was the "Rolling Thunder" drill where six or seven us of had to fire one round, to the next guy, who fired one, and so forth, while we reloaded as fast as possible, then two, two, two, etc then three, three, etc. then four, four, four and five, five, five, down the line, a great drilling for some stress testing of reloading skills. I totally blew it the first time, did better second time.

Also learned the hard way that my Remington 870 Police Magnum does NOT like Fiocchi dove loads, but chewed through Winchester AA with no problems. 00 Buck was no problem at all, the slugs worked great. Not sure my shoulder would have enjoyed more than about forty rounds of it though.

I left feeling much more confident that I know what I need to be practicing and drilling to further refine what had been taught.

Did they teach you how to mitigate felt recoil of the SG?

C4

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Yes...

And we had a couple really, really small guys blasting away with slugs without a problem, and a couple more hefty guys who chose not to follow instructions and came away pretty sore.

I had learned previously about recoil mitigation, buy practice makes perfect.

A couple people had the Knoxx stock systems which they were using improperly and getting a firm punch to the jaw from it as a result.

Last edited by ptmccain; 07-30-14 at 12:09.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Yes...

And we had a couple really, really small guys blasting away with slugs without a problem, and a couple more hefty guys who chose not to follow instructions and came away pretty sore.

I had learned previously about recoil mitigation, buy practice makes perfect.

A couple people had the Knoxx stock systems which they were using improperly and getting a firm punch to the jaw from it as a result.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. There is a specific push pull technique that reduces a 12ga to that of a 410.

C4

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Yup...some people got it figured out, others learned it and need to keep practicing.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Yup...some people got it figured out, others learned it and need to keep practicing.

Curious, what was the ratio of the push to pull system that they taught?

C4

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Here is my favorite video demonstrating the push/pull technique. It all begins with a good aggressive athletic stance and really works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq74aiXn1b4

The guys in the class insisting on a bladed stance did not have as much fun, even after being pointedly physically moved into position to be standing properly some kept falling back into their old habits.

Practice, practice, practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast