Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the S&W M&P15 always a bad idea?

Feedback Score

Is the S&W M&P15 always a bad idea?

I already have a Colt 6920 as my first AR and was thinking of getting a second one.

However, I have a friend that bought an AR and maybe ran 2-4 boxes of 223 through it and put it in a case for the last 3 years.

The AR is a basic S&W M&P15. Not the "sport" but the basic model with the carry handle. The rifle has been taken to the range once (...that I know of) and shot 2-4 boxes, was cleaned and put away in a case under his bed. The guy does not hunt and has not carried the rifle anywhere. It basically looks brand new and comes with the stock 30 rounder it came with. He bought no extras for it at the time. No Magpul furniture...no optics. 16 inch barrel...1/8 twist

He said, "gimmie 700 bucks and it is yours."

So is it a bad idea to save 300 bucks on the second 6920 Colt and grab this rifle? This will be a sort of "back up" AR for me and kept pretty much stock. Not used for matches or classes either. I might put an Aimpoint Pro on it like my current Colt 6920 but that is it.

If I did buy it as a backup...are there certain things that need to be changed right away?

Thought I'd ask before I bought. Don't know much about the M&P15.

Thanks,

-Brickboy240

Feedback Score
    It won't necessarily be a $300 savings. The Colts have been available from $800-900 in various places online. If you really want another Colt, shop around.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I think it would be fine for your stated purpose, however economics has your friend in a bind. he's $200 too high.. JMO
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    If the price was down, another AR that's just used as a blaster never hurts. I just think the $700 is a little much for a used gun (no matter how it looks, it's still used) that doesn't have the features a Colt has for a couple hundred more.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You could have a brand new BCM upper for less than that with their current sale.

Feedback Score
    After looking around on the web...yeah...he is a tad high even if it is nearly new.

I might try to get him down a tad. The guy is not on hard times...just bored with it and wants to use cash for something else. He bought it in an impulse for 850 a few years ago.

If I can swing it for 500-600...I might bite. Otherwise...yeah...I will just go get a second 6920. The first one has been golden.

-brickboy240

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I think $700 is a bit high for that rifle. For $550-$600 it would a pretty good deal.

For $700 I'd buy a complete Spikes lower and a BCM 16" standard upper without a handguard and throw on a MOE handguard.

Feedback Score
    I have seen Spikes complete lowers for 300 but can you really get a BCM complete upper for 400 bucks?

That makes for a pretty decent backup and is still tons cheaper than another 6920.

...hmmm

Feedback Score
    A backup should be as reliable as your primary. Get another Colt or a BCM.
    “Live free or die; death is not the worst of evils.”
    - General John Stark, July 31, 1809

Feedback Score
    That is kind of my line of thought all along. The old "two is one...one is none" theory.

I will probably grab another 6920 and just wait a while before buying a second Aimpoint Pro for it.

My original goal was two identical ARs.

-brickboy240

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast