Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SBR or Pistol

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    It currently take a years to get the paperwork needed to have own sbr and any time you take a sbr out of state you have to have new federal paper work to travel with it EVERY TIME YOU TRAVEL OUT OF STATE. No simple to get ether. .
    Form 1's are between 6 and 9 months right now. Also, you can fill out the paperwork for interstate travel to cover up to a year in advance for one location. It takes about 5 minutes to fill out the form and around two weeks for approval.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by backcast88 View Post
    In the long run it seems going the SBR route will be a better end result.

I'm debating on skipping the pistol route. I'll try and get ahold of my buddy's AR pistol and make sure it's not for me before I decide 100% on which one I'm going with.

The other debate is a DD Mk18 upper or BCM 11.5". I know the DD has gas port size issues. I don't plan on running it suppressed but that could be an option some time down the road.
    As a very happy owner of a 10.5" upper - go with 11.5" unless you're really trying to minimize OAL.

You can still do what I do - bum a buddy's pistol lower to see how it runs, more information is seldom detrimental (unless it exposes you to some new and awesome expensive stuff).
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ryr8828 View Post
    My 10.3" DD pistol agrees with your 11.5 bcm pistol's disagreement.
    so does my 10.3" Colt CQB ...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Pistols are for people who live in states where SBRs are not legal. Sorry, but this "arm brace" thing is a solution to a problem you do not have.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    As a very happy owner of a 10.5" upper - go with 11.5" unless you're really trying to minimize OAL.

You can still do what I do - bum a buddy's pistol lower to see how it runs, more information is seldom detrimental (unless it exposes you to some new and awesome expensive stuff).
    That's kind of how I ended up with this decision. A buddy built a pistol and I shot it a little and found I really liked the short barrel but didnt care for the arm brace very much. Since I live in a state that allows SBRs I'll but a lower and start working on getting my form 1 sent in.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarge View Post
    Pistols are for people who live in states where SBRs are not legal. Sorry, but this "arm brace" thing is a solution to a problem you do not have.
    What is the Number 1 Rule of this forum? Go Shoot the Rifle. With the ATF taking over 9 months to clear the SBR paperwork that's 9 months the rifle cannot be shot. A rifle upper can be used, but that doesn't let the shooter test the SBR upper. That's a 9 month delay before discovering if there are any bugs that need to be worked out, 9 months before any tuning can be done. The upper could be mated to an AR pistol lower and test fired, but an AR pistol without the brace is difficult to shoot accurately. The Sig arm brace gives the shooter the option of shooting the AR pistol with the same stability as a buttstock. The upper configuration can be shot, tested and tuned now. The experience gained from being able to shoot the weapon now is more than worth the price of admission.

The arm brace does a very good job of solving the problem of the AR pistol being difficult to control. Now, the AR pistol becomes as stable to shoot accurately as an SBR. Now I can effectively shoot, troubleshoot and tune my upper instead of it collecting dust while waiting for a stamp
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Lots of this being hashed out on another similar thread, but I'll jump in. I was at the build stage but decided to build a second 16" middy for my daughter. But next one will be a 11.5 pistol. I could go either way in TX but the whole BATF BS has me saying no. Bought my brace straight from Sig during a recent promo. I tried the brace on my 16" carbine and it shot fine. Not as good as a true stock, but close enough, and certainly as good as the metal folding AK stocks, comfort wise.

Using the right buffer tube to extend the brace helps much.

Lots of folks saying a reversal in the BATF letter could prevent shouldering the brace in the future, but one poster made a great point saying ATF cannot really regulate use, they regulate designs. If the Sig brace is legal, and classified as a brace versus a stock, then they cannot really say how to hold the thing. Of course, a rogue, lawless administration could try, but I don't see that happening personally, but I'm no lawyer.

Bottom line for me, the brace is the right move. What I gain in freedom and reduced paperwork definitely outweighs the less than perfect stock design.

YMMV

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    .....................The arm brace does a very good job of solving the problem of the AR pistol being difficult to control. Now, the AR pistol becomes as stable to shoot accurately as an SBR. Now I can effectively shoot, troubleshoot and tune my upper instead of it collecting dust while waiting for a stamp
    In other words, it works.

Funny how the bashers don't claim that it doesn't work, they just don't like it.
    Last edited by DWood; 07-31-14 at 10:31.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    I read Frank Proctor has over 6k rounds on a TA poly lower he uses in classes... ill admit im still apprehensive about poly lowers but I sure love when high volume shooters go against the grain. Im not against the brace, I just want to see some reputable shooters use one and report on it. I get its not ideal but can it be used effectively? Im currently buying all the parts for one so my skin is in the game.
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmin View Post
    I read Frank Proctor has over 6k rounds on a TA poly lower he uses in classes... ill admit im still apprehensive about poly lowers but I sure love when high volume shooters go against the grain. Im not against the brace, I just want to see some reputable shooters use one and report on it. I get its not ideal but can it be used effectively? Im currently buying all the parts for one so my skin is in the game.
    "Reputable shooters" would probably have a stamp, especially if they are instructors or use whatever is commercially available for their students, like a 16" 6920.

The fundamental advantage of the brace, which I have seen first hand running it in a Defoor class for two days/800ish rounds, is that it allows you do what you could not do before. I ran my 11.5 BCM upper on my pistol lower in the class and then kept it loaded on my way home in the front seat. If I had an SBR or any "rifle" it would be illegal in my state to do this.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast