Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Optimized Brown Tip" gel test video by SMG Lee

Feedback Score
    Huge thread in hunting section on the 70g TSX. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...SX-Performance. Although to get loaded to 5.56 standards I believe the only one is Silver State Armory. I handload my own and love them. ASYM does them in .223 and they are terrific as well. Have hog hunted with the ASYM and know they do the trick.
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    Black Hills sells a 62gr 5.56 version. I hope they come out with the 70gr commercially like they did with the 262. We shall see.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The 70gr tsx appeared to penetrate 20-21" in bare gel. Fine for the military units using it. But for personal defense or LE use, other than in rural locations, isn't this too penetration?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rocsteady View Post
    Huge thread in hunting section on the 70g TSX. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...SX-Performance. Although to get loaded to 5.56 standards I believe the only one is Silver State Armory. I handload my own and love them. ASYM does them in .223 and they are terrific as well. Have hog hunted with the ASYM and know they do the trick.
    For what it's worth, Barnes has 5.56 data available for the 70 TSX.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    With the great expansion and penetration these TSXs have is there really a reason not to go with the lighter rounds?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    With the great expansion and penetration these TSXs have is there really a reason not to go with the lighter rounds?
    I've always been a proponent of the heaviest bullet possible for defensive purposes. I'd rather use a 70gr TSX (or 77gr SMK) than the 62gr TSX... given proper barrel specs of course.
    Last edited by Onyx Z; 09-02-14 at 14:39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ack495 View Post
    The 70gr tsx appeared to penetrate 20-21" in bare gel. Fine for the military units using it. But for personal defense or LE use, other than in rural locations, isn't this too penetration?
    No such thing. People like to forget that when your shooting at someone they will have arms out in front of them to attack you. You want the penetration to make it to vitals through intervening limbs or objects.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrotx1 View Post
    No such thing. People like to forget that when your shooting at someone they will have arms out in front of them to attack you. You want the penetration to make it to vitals through intervening limbs or objects.
    Ok. Tell that to the FBI. Pretty sure they are aware of that fact and still came up with a 12" min and an 18" max in ballistic gel. Anymore and the projectile has enough energy to exit and cause harm to others you didn't intend too.

Listen, this is a great bullet that I would want during war or the end of days. Because I wouldn't care about over penetration but for home self dense or CONUS LE use, its too much.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Overpenetration isn't a major concern. More than half of rounds fired tend to miss the target entirely.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    Overpenetration isn't a major concern. More than half of rounds fired tend to miss the target entirely.
    As a police officer for a suburban town, it is to me. I select the ammo my dept uses. There is a major reason I don't use this bullet, it almost always penetrates deeper than 18" in gel. In my opinion, it would be gross negligence on my part to use a bullet I knew had the likelihood of over penetrating the target. Causing injury risk to innocents. YMMV.

Missing the target is an entirely different topic. A miss with any bullet is a bad thing. That is a training issue. Major change in our state qual course is round accountability. Any round not accounted for is an automatic failure and you need to shoot the COF over.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast