Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand Guard Hell

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Hand Guard Hell

I have searched exhaustively, but I am having a lot of trouble deciding on a hand guard...

My current build project is a 18" AR-15 "SPR" concept rifle in FDE (looking at a DD barrel with mid-length gas system). I am building this one from the ground up for the learning experience, and to have a quality rifle which has all the features I want. This rifle will be used for distance shooting (hopefully 300-500 yards, but I'm not a crack shot or anything), and possibly some small game hunting when I move back West. I have built a lower from parts before, but this will be my first upper. I have spent hours going back and forth, but I seem to hit a pothole every time I think I have settled on a choice. Here are the criteria I have for a hand guard:

1.) Modular or key-mod type.
    2.) Not too heavy. Minimalist is not required, I just don't want to throw the balance of the gun too far forward.
    3.) Built in sling QD holes would be nice
    4.) Durable enough for field / somewhat harsh use.
    5.) Offered in FDE or desert-type color
    6.) Long enough, but not excessive. I think 12" would be about right for functional use without too much weight.

So, based on these general criteria, three of the rails I have considered are:
    1.) Geissele Super-modular Mk 4 13" in DDC. I love the design! However, they are expensive and out of stock EVERYWHERE. However, if I can ever find one in stock, I might just break the bank for it.
    2.) Midwest Industries gen 2 SS 12" rail in FDE. Nice design and price, but I worry about poly rail sections and durability.
    3.) Troy Alpha 11"/13" in FDE. This was my original choice, but I will probably not go that route.

Any input is welcome. Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by sevenhelmet; 08-01-14 at 07:36.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    4.) BCM KMR 13 cerakoted from G&R.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I was going to suggest Geissele but then I noticed you already had it on your list...So go with the Geissele.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are so many options. First, if you wand FDE ypu can always have it Cerakoted FDE for about $50, so that's no big deal. Both the Troy and Geissele rails are very nice... and don't discount the 13" Mk2 that's on sale at AIM for $225.

Here's a couple I recently put together:

IMG_1460.jpg

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I use the MI Gen 2 SS and I love it, I was going to go the keymod route but I got this for a song. I would go with the MI, they don't break the bank and are built very well. They are also extremely lite. As for the rail sections there are aluminum sections.

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    Last edited by South; 01-23-15 at 23:36.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet432 View Post
    4.) BCM KMR 13 cerakoted from G&R.
    Big time 2nd to this.
    I've owned 2 of the 3 on your list. I'm not sure that the Troy and MI are all that durable or robust for field use.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    13" MKII. They are on sale now. Then rattle can it with tan Krylon.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    13" MKII. They are on sale now. Then rattle can it with tan Krylon.
    Agree.
    Director of Business Development - Unity Tactical, LLC - Design and Validation for the tactical community.
    www.unitytactical.com / www.facebook.com/unitytacticalllc

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    What are your guyss' thoughts on the Geissele rails vs. The KMR as a duty rifle rail? I have never owned either and am torn between the two brands for my patrol rifle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast