Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Backup rifle necessity?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I've never thought of having three ARs of the same configuration was too extreme of a view, as others have stated it's a great insurance policy. I'm not sure how the SBR aspect becomes an issue for out of state classes. You generally schedule those classes well in advance, yes? Meaning you have plenty of time to give the boys at the No-fun Bureau plenty of notice for when you are want to take the SBR out of state.

The other side of this is issues you really could run into that would take your AR out of commission in circumstances you would want to get it back up and running quickly.

Sheared bolt lug: If you keep and accurate round count you should have an idea of when that you want to swap out the bolt.
    Failed extractor: Again keeping a firing schedule and replacing failing components before the go TU.
    Ripped case head: Use quality factory loaded ammunition during defensive scenarios, or pay very close attention to your brass and dispose of it after a certain number of reloads.
    Blown Primer or primer falls out: Again quality ammunition, or dispose of brass that the primer pocket has gotten to easy to seat a primer into.
    Ka-Boom: Quality ammunition, or pay critical attention to make sure you aren't dropping pistol powder into your reloaded 5.56.
    Blown barrel: Quality Ammunition (beginning to see a trend?) or weigh every single reload to check for extreme weight variances.
    Shot out barrel: Barrels can be funny things in how quickly they go but again, keep an accurate round count and replace when you hit a certain point of the groups opening up.

These are just some of the more common things you can run into if you shoot and shoot frequently. If you do proper maintenance at appropriate round counts, use quality ammunition, and use magazines you've certified to function flawlessly with that rifle. Your failure incidence will be low. Having that secondary rifle just becomes your Backup Quarterback in the NFL.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    If he puts a bad round into his gun and Kabizzles it beyond repair... NOW he can buy a non NFA gun and be back in action in less than a day.

But that's NOW. In the height of the post Sandy Hook incident, he'd have been screwed.
    I agree. I think it's good to have an extra standard AR--like a now-affordable Colt 6920 as mentioned by many posters. It would be extra nice to have it sitting in the safe, and sighted in with an Aimpoint pro, or some affordable quality optic.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    More is just better.. JMO..
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Almost every class I have been in, I have seen at least one weapon go down. That includes shotguns, pistols, carbines and knives. Just food for thought.

I bring a complete spare to every class. Plus, you have a "known-good" weapon to pass down to the kiddos or whoever.

I have a spare BCM middy sitting in the safe, and am going to build a Sionics SPR. And if I get the Christmas bonus I richly deserve, I'm going to drop some of it on a NIB 6920 to stash in the back of the safe.

So honestly, why the hell not buy yourself another? Because 'Murica, dammit. That's all the reason you need.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I have been thinking about this too. I have two AR's both built almost exactly alike: Both ELW KMR's 16" though one is fluted. The non-fluted rifle has a 1-6x and is for 'general purpose' use; the fluted one has an H1 and is my home defense/ training rifle.

In the event the world ends, I'm grabbing the rifle with the scope.

I cannot see use for another one unless I go the NFA route. But I have spent the last two years getting my rifles how I like them, learning how to use them effectively, and understanding their limitations.

I do keep parts though.
    Last edited by Zane1844; 08-01-14 at 21:33.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    AR pistol is useless.
    Disagree... Ballistics better than a P90 with the familiarity of an AR, and with the proper loading will get the job done just fine. I keep my well tested and super-reliable 7.5" loaded with Winchester Silver Tips for HD. Easy to maneuver with in tight spaces, harder to disarm if caught unaware, and unless I'm fighting foes in full body armor, I would think that the lower expansion velocity of the Silver Tips would be more than adequate to stop a bad guy. I keep two Magpul 40 rounders close by - one loaded with Mk318 and the other with M855 in case I need barrier or armor penetration.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'll address the over all issue about having a back up with.... why not? Every weapon I've seen was made by Man, and everything made by man will eventually break. Might be tomorrow, might be 20 years from now, but it will happen. No weapon is perfect. It is only logical to have something that fills a similar, if not completely identical role or capability as the primary. My primary, go to rifle right now is the FN SCAR 16S. Great rifle, and one I've had almost zero problems with. Still, it's fallible, and so I have as a back up a DDM4. It's not a clone of the primary, but it is close enough, and offers very similar capabilities. Redundancy is a great option to have.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If you are really set on having a spare SBR that you can move between state lines, I think you should seriously consider building an AR with a Sig pistol brace. The brace is about an inch taller than a SOPMOD stock, but it shoulders fine if you need to use it.

I can't believe I would ever find myself saying that, but after handling one at a gun store, my mind has been changed.

Feedback Score
    For myself I have redundancy in all my weapon platforms. I have at least 2 similar set ups in everything I use and that doesn't matter if I use sling shots, go bow hunting and that remains the same when it comes to shooting. Some things fail and when they do they fail it generally happens at the most inopportune times, so I like to have an instant spare.

I am also the wrong guy to speak in regards to the benefit of keeping only one or a select few weapons, especially when it comes to a single M4/AR or even AK's. When I want to try out a new set up for the AR/M4, I don't just reconfigure the rifle with a new rail etc, I build an entirely new one. I also don't sell personal weapons, so needless to say that as a Smith / Armorer / Trainer / guy who still carries for a living, over the many years I have accumulated my share of stuff. But then again I have more tools, even specialty tools than many General Construction Contractors, so I have a bad habit of accumulating things in general. At least I got rid of a couple of my Mustangs recently. Now I just gotta get rid of one of my trucks. See admitting there is a problem is the first step.

Just wanted to edit to add, that I carry a select fire, 10.5 daily, but the reality is that I do prefer a 14.5 to my new favorite a 16.5.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234