Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backup rifle necessity?

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    I only have one AR too. It's setup perfect for me.

I have a spare parts kit to include everything but barrel and receivers.

If it ever goes down, I'm pretty sure I could make do until I got it going again...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Switch gears?
    image.jpg
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    I don't think you necessarily need a backup and definitely don't need to have an identical SBR to the one you have. That said, If you do want a backup, I would buy this Colt 6920 for $899 and call it a day.

http://www.cdnnsports.com/6920-16-fl...l#.U9uvc2d0zak

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    If you read my post above you see a potential use for one. What's your solution?
    Don't travel out of state. I do keep several non-NFA guns though.... If for some weird reason I had to drive out of my state, I could grab one of those.

The AK thing isn't the worst idea. But to me... a minimum of triple redundancy on the AR platform is non-negotiable.
    Last edited by markm; 08-01-14 at 10:37.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I like parts commonality, it's one of my favorite aspects of the AR-15. However, I like each rifle to be different, so while commonly-worn parts might be interchangeable, I think it's overkill to have 2 of exactly the same gun. Unless money is no object, in which case, knock yourself out!

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Good feedback all! Thanks so much and still a lot to consider. I should have probably included this info in the OP, but here goes. This is my go-to rifle:

I do also have a pair (2 identical) of these in the safe; PSA CHF 16" Midlength, MOE furniture, MBUS Rear sight. I've been all through them and confirmed that they are assembled correctly/in-spec:

Untitled by ASH556, on Flickr

So, with 2 other "potential backup" rifles sitting there, does that change the game any? Still build either a 16" version or Pistol clone of my SBR?

Thanks!
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skijunkie55 View Post
    Just pick up a colt 6920 or a BCM recce to throw in the safe and call it a day!
    Especially with the free BCG and Comp offer BCM is running right I think this is a good idea. Plus with a 14.5 or 16 inch you wouldn't have the travel restrictions.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Good feedback all! Thanks so much and still a lot to consider. I should have probably included this info in the OP, but here goes. This is my go-to rifle:

I do also have a pair (2 identical) of these in the safe; PSA CHF 16" Midlength, MOE furniture, MBUS Rear sight. I've been all through them and confirmed that they are assembled correctly/in-spec:

Untitled by ASH556, on Flickr

So, with 2 other "potential backup" rifles sitting there, does that change the game any? Still build either a 16" version or Pistol clone of my SBR?

Thanks!
    I redact my previous statement. IMHO $ toward ammo and training is the way to go.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you're just thinking about changing the handguards and/or sights, how about just getting an SBR upper to swap? Less money & paperwork yet you get the redundancy of a backup.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'd say there's plenty of merit in building a 16" Lightweight (but otherwise cloned) version of your SBR. Use that as a training rifle, backup rifle, practice rifle, and drive on. Cheap enough, handles close enough, and works. Find the matching DD offering with the closest handguard, and buy the LW version of it. Success!
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast