Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 66-2 how much?

Feedback Score

S&W 66-2 how much?

Stopped by a gun store today on way home from work. They had this gun apparently they said it was from an old cop several counties over. Gun had holster wear around muzzle and little down sides of the barrel but it locked up very tight cylinder did not have any excess play in it. I forgot to take a pick but it had 4" barrel price was 490$. Does that seem pretty ballpark for these guns?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    As long as the timing is good and no forcing cone issues, it's a good price.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here in Georgia that is a fair price. I see rough ones going for $550 plus. I've actually been on the hunt for a 66-2 with the 2.5" barrel and you'd be shocked to see the asking prices.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys I'm gonna need some new tires for hunting season first ,so if it's still there in couple months I may try and get it. My guts telling me it will prolly be gone though

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I carried a M66 its a good gun.That one sounds about right.Police trade ins ,for the most part are bargains.The majority of the Police force are really not into guns until qualification time comes around.Then maybe they start re-familiarizing themselves with their sidearm.Most have been fired little ,carried mostly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would think lower $400's would be more of a fair price, but then again it's been a few years since I bought my last smith. Maybe you can talk 'em down a bit.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I got one in similar condition last year for $425. $490 seams alittle high for one in the condition you state.

Feedback Score
    It seems strange, but the Smith & Wesson website has the Model 66 with 4.25" barrel on it for $850 new. I thought they quit making them years ago. I have a M66-1 with the Iowa Highway Patrol emblem on it with a number ISP 63 which I believe was the states issue number. It is a very accurate gun. I love shooting it.
    Last edited by Cavedweller1948; 08-16-14 at 07:28.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavedweller1948 View Post
    It seems strange, but the Smith & Wesson website has the Model 66 with 4.25" barrel on it for $850 new. I thought they quit making them years ago. I have a M66-1 with the Iowa Highway Patrol emblem on it with a number ISP 63 which I believe was the states issue number. It is a very accurate gun. I love shooting it.
    Don't be confused the brand new "reintroduced" model 66 with the 4.25" barrel with the classic Combat Magnum model 66 of the bygone era. The barrel on the new one has a sleeve around it unlike the original one piece barrel. There are other differences but the barrel is the most obvious one. I prefer the old school 66, especially the snubby.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Don't be confused the brand new "reintroduced" model 66 with the 4.25" barrel with the classic Combat Magnum model 66 of the bygone era. The barrel on the new one has a sleeve around it unlike the original one piece barrel. There are other differences but the barrel is the most obvious one. I prefer the old school 66, especially the snubby.
    The differences amount to nothing more than a continued evolution of a 115 year old design.

The two-piece barrel (actually a one piece barrel and a one piece shroud) are a genius idea to reduce the time it takes to install the barrel because now front sight timing is independent of barrel installation.

The system also allows the balance of the revolver to be adjusted since the barrel contour can be changed by S&W within the confines of the inside diameter of the shroud without altering the appearance of the pistol.

A third benefit of the system (and a by product of #1 above) is that barrel to frame fastening torque can now be controlled to a much tighter tolerance because timing the barrel to get the front sight vertical is not necessary.

These kinds of mfg efficiency and quality improvements are necessary to keep a complex handgun design saleable at a reasonable price in this day and age.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast