Thread: Elzetta Alpha - Perfect for Pocket-Carry

Feedback Score

Elzetta Alpha - Perfect for Pocket-Carry

I just received the new Elzetta Alpha. It is a 1-cell (CR123A) light that puts out 7 lumens on low and 315 lumens on high.

Like all Elzetta lights, it has modular construction; meaning, you can switch out the tail cap, bezel ring and lens to alter configurations. If you want a high/strobe light as opposed to a high/low configuration (like mine), for example, you swap out tail caps; no need to get a new light the same as you do with a light that has a fixed-architecture. Elzetta employs the KISS philosophy by staying away from multi-click interfaces. They're designed to be tactical weapon lights so it can be mounted on rifles and shotguns but I suspect Alphas will probably be mostly found in pockets, or even purses - for the ladies. If you are considering it for weapon application though, it will make for a super low-weight lighting system. The Alpha and Elzetta ZRX, for example, are less than 5 ounces when paired.

There is no perfect light. Like anything else, there are always trade-offs. I'm not crazy about the "low" setting for example. Seven lumens isn't a lot but its better than nothing. I can see how 7 lumens, however, would be suitable to reading in the dark. You could easily use this in the car at night to look at notes you've jotted down or to write something down before you forget it. The low out-put is not going to put a strain on your eyes though the same as some other low-powered lights will. I like my Maglites, for example, but even the 15 lumen models can provide eye strain via their beam that has a rather hot "hotspot". My Alpha has a "standard lens" but its somewhat flood-like in nature. It has no discernable "hotspot". The Alpha also is a very warm light. It doesn't project a "blue-like" tint the same as a lot of other LED lights do, etc.

Remember lumen is a term that refers to total output and does not equate to brightness. At 315 lumens, the light has ample output for CQB/home defense applications. You could easily use this light to search throughout a house that has little to no light in it. It doesn't, however, have the same throw that the 235 lumen M60 Malkoff LED based Elzettas have, which is probably why they continue to make the lower powered models. I did a side-by-side comparison last night and for an outdoor rifle application in low-light, the M60 based light is the way to go between the two siblings.

There are no free lunches. If you run the Alpha at full-output, you're going to get less than an hour of run-time. If you keep in on low though, you can get 36 hours? Crazy.

If you aren't already familiar with their reputation, Elzettas are extremely durable lights. There are videos on the internet that show people shooting them with shotguns and the things continue to work. Top Shot Champion Dustin Ellermann even drops one 300' out of a helicopter. He drops it on a concrete pad and chips the thing (the pad). Regardless, the light continues to work. I'm sure the Alpha will have the same durability as the rest of its family members given its constructed in a similar manner.

I think the Alpha will be a great light but they aren't going to be for everyone. Elzettas are pricey but I do consider them to be a premium-grade product. You're up-front expenditure, however, is going to reward you with a light that will be in service for years to come. Everyone has different priorities and will not be able to justify the price. The common objection will be to compare it to a much lowered priced light that has a similar output. This will be an apple to oranges comparison though. Remember, it costs no more to make a light with more output, the cost is derived from build quality and construction (not to mention branding). The AVS Elzetta head, for example, produces 650 lumen on 2-cell bodies and 900 lumen on 3-cell bodies. The two different models obviously use the same LED emitter (its the same head) so it stands to reason the two models are very similarly priced. Between two comparable models, the real price differentiation equates to the price difference between the 2-cell and 3-cell bodies (construction).

If you're in the market for a quality EDC, I highly encourage you to consider the Elzetta Alpha model. They are USA MADE for those that care - even the battery that comes in it is USA MADE.

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    Last edited by South; 01-23-15 at 23:36.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Great review, thanks!

Feedback Score
    Thanks, for sharing a very good review.
    What can one man do? You never know until you try.

Feedback Score
    Thank you everyone, I hope its helpful. ;-)

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thanks for the post. Ive been on the fence. I might pick one up.

Feedback Score
    13 (93%)
    Have you tried a RCS pocket clip on it? Ive been debating on picking one up myself.
    Instagram @wtm5569

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I contemplated getting this light myself over the past week. Elzetta sells a speedclip that works similarly to the RCS clip.
    From my research though, one issue you would run into with either clip is the entire length of the tailcap will stick out of your pocket, due to the positioning of where the clip is. This may or may not be an issue for you...just something to think about.

Feedback Score
    I'm sorry, I don't have any experience with the RCS pocket clip.

acaixguard, you are correct. A portion of the tail cap is going to stick out of your pocket with the Speed Clip. If it makes a difference though, it can be configured, however, so that it can be carried bezel-up or bezel-down.