Thread: 6 position vs. A2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

6 position vs. A2

Has anyone noticed a smaller group size when switching from a 6 position stock to a A2, or evan going wit a heavier buffer like an H3 ?
    I have a friend that has a wilson 16" 1 in 8 stainless barrel mid length gas system mounted in a vltor reciever and 6 position stock, and his group size is between 11/2 to 2 '' at 100 yards of the bench with all kinds of ammo with both of us shooting it.
    My BCM 18" 1 in 8 rifle gas system with A2 stock constantly shoots 1 moa or better with the same ammo. So I was woundering if the stock and buffer and gas system make that much of a differance or is the BCM barrel that much better ?

Thanks Scott

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Stock and buffer won't impact mechanical accuracy. However length of pull and cheekweld might help a little. Sounds to me like two different guns just simply shoot differently.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Here's an easy test:

Swap uppers between the two guns.

Go out shooting all day.

Let us know if the accuracy followed the upper or the lower.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Couple other questions. What optics were being run on the rifles? What triggers were installed?

I ask because I have shot a few of my ARs for groups and the last time I pushed them I had my RRA with A2 fixed stock and horse cock 20 inch barrel grouping about MOA, and my 16 inch BCM BFH middy running about 2.5 inches. However, the RRA has a 2 stage NM trigger and a 9 power scope while the BCM had an ACOG and a USGI trigger. Those differences alone would have concerned me with the differences in groups over the stocks.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My rifle has a SSA-E trigger and a cheap bushnel scope for now. His has a RRA 2 stage and a browning 5-15 scope.

Scott

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    My rifle has a SSA-E trigger and a cheap bushnel scope for now. His has a RRA 2 stage and a browning 5-15 scope.

Scott
    So you have a better trigger and a better scope then he does.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think the SSA-E trigger is a much bigger factor in your rifle's accuracy over your friend's than the choice of stock...

Feedback Score
    The technology with collapsible stocks are great and with their locking mechanisms, there shouldn't be any difference besides what Mark already stated (LOP and cheek weld).
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Personal preference, experience, body type, shooting preference (e.g., NTCH), eye relief on one's optic, etc. will affect your results. I've been on a Monty Python-esque Holy Grail stock quest lately comparing two very similarly setup SPR-type of rifles and, for me, prefer the flexibility of a somewhat shorter LOP, or variable LOP, and generous cheekweld. My LOP changes for different shooting positions or if my eyes/body happen to be doing weird things on a particular day. Lots of guys shooting extremely well with A2s...