Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me build something better than a KAC SR15 14.5" upper

Feedback Score
    I've done many versions of MOD1s cut to 14.5". That's about as close as you can get overall.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanCrothers View Post
    Just be careful with taking other guy's experiences with certain combinations at face value and assuming you'll have the same experience, especially with different variables mixed in. If you get into a bind after it's completed it'd make for a really difficult time finding where the issues are stemming from.

Otherwise that's about as cutting edge of a parts list as you could have. But forget about the SR-15 Mod 2 upper, for that kind of dough for three builds you could get a complete Mod 2. Or 2, or 3.
    Right on about the cost, $2,600-$2,700 a rifle for the builds I'm planning. Sound advice on being able to pin down issues if I come across them. I have 2 stock DD lowers I can swap an upper out, I'll also be buying a spare BCM or DD BCG so I'll be able to rule in/out the VLTOR A5 and/or LMT BCG if I run into issues. SLR Sentry 6 should function like any other quality gas block especially if it is pinned by ADCO, just open up the metering screw all the way.... So between all the combos I can test I will figure it out if I run into issues... The other 2 builds I plan are a 16" mid length and 11.5" carbine and my guess is if I do run into an issue it will be with the 14.5" mid length...

Feedback Score
    Deleted...
    Last edited by STONE-YARDER; 08-05-14 at 22:03.

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    Here is one thing i have been thinking of lately which would be totally unique and awesome:

1) Buy a 16" KAC SR30. It comes with a sweet stainless barrel, rare SR30 roll mark (CA legel even!!) and the new QDC flash hider.
    2) Sent it Marvin Pitts etc, have them cut it 14.5 and perm attach the QDC flash hider or a 30cal MAMS. Maybe do flutes if must get crazy, i think it would be better to be more unique instead of copying the dimples and flutes speak more to a precision stainless barrel to me then dimples. (pure personal conjecture, not a technical fact ). But really, whats your goal with the barrel work, just uniqueness? weight savings? I would cut it, pin it and move on....the other mods to a nice stainless barrel like that after it leaves the factory are really just self indulgence IMHO. Its expensive with little to gain. Its one thing to get a factory done one another to post production mod it.

The SR30 rifle are also generally discontinued which means their are very few out there so you will have that rare factor going for you and one of, if not the best production 300BO rifles ever made. (And they are on close out a few places in this soft market marker down from like 2800 to 2100 so they are a great value. Same price as the standard SR15 but with the upgraded stainless barrel).

There would be very few if any other 14.5 300BO SR-15s. And if you threw one of the new KAC CQB suppresors on that thing, you could go from supers for hunting or up to 200-300 yard type role, or subs for a super quite 150 and under gun.....versatile!

One benefit of the 14.5 vs something like an 11' is it would potentially make the CQB smaller suppressor still worth it as the blast on the longer barrel is less to begin with. With the shorter barrel it will often make more sense to get the longer suppressor as some people say the mini just dont do quire enough (again my personal opinion from my own research but by no means fact)

This is all dependent on.
    1. your willingness to get in the 300bo ammo game (Shiz is expensive if you do not reload)
    2. you don't believe 300BO only makes sense in SBR's with can else wise it give little value of 5.56 or there are better tools for the job like 308
    3. Your ability to successfully deal with the forth coming comment from markm on how 300BO is an abomination to the world of ammo and and embarrassment to the rifle community

BOOM....go forth and propsper.

PS..I own a KAC sr-15 MOD1 SBR 14.5 with dimple barrel and its sick. I was considering doing the above too pair with it, but just dont think i have the wallet or a strong enough desire to get in the 300BO game right now. Will probably get a straight up mod 1 cut it to 14.5 and pin a mams on to have as a redundant back up to my 14.5 SBR.

BTW....the other easy answers are for pure awesomeness are.
    A. Buy the 11.5 CQB
    B. Just buy the SR25 MOD 2. That's probably going to be one of the baddest rifles ever made....

Last edited by Amur; 08-05-14 at 22:58.

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    Last edited by Amur; 08-05-14 at 23:22.

Feedback Score
    107 (100%)
    I've got a factory, 14.5, as well as a legacy upper that I sent to Pitts for a cut down to 14.5, full dimple job, and had him install the URX4 rail.
    The Pitts cut down and URX 4 is much lighter and I prefer that one to the factory 14.5.

I'd say get a Mod 1 or Mod 2, and send it to Pitts for a cut down and dimple job, and be done.
    For the price of the factory. 14.5 upper you can get the whole rifle.
    Last edited by cop1211; 08-05-14 at 23:52.

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cop1211 View Post
    I've got a factory, 14.5, as well as a legacy upper that I sent to Pitts for a cut down to 14.5, full dimple job, and had him install the URX4 rail.
    The Pitts cut down and URX 4 is much lighter and I prefer that one to the factory 14.5.
    Could some please clarify for me: What is required to install a URX4 on a legacy gas block? Does it fit or need it be "adjusted" to fit the over it?
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    anyone have any pictures of their cut and dimpled mod 1? I wouldnt mind sending mine to get done.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Might not be better but I hear those Noveske guys, that make your lower, make a pretty decent upper.

or LMT MRP CQB.
    Last edited by KCBRUIN; 08-06-14 at 04:17.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KCBRUIN View Post
    Might not be better but I hear those Noveske guys, that make your lower, make a pretty decent upper.

or LMT MRP CQB.
    Noveske makes the AX556 lowers? And what upper exactly are you talking about? AX556?

To the OP, I would just get the 16" mod 1 upper. Have it chopped, but skip the dimpling IMO. The 16" already has a thinner profile. It won't look exactly like the factory 14.5 either. The dimples won't be as deep; I know this is just aesthetics, and this is only if you are really picky.
    Last edited by w3453l; 08-06-14 at 05:12.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast