Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loose AK brake. Leave it or tighten it?

Feedback Score

Loose AK brake. Leave it or tighten it?

Like many '74 type muzzle brakes, mine has the typical looseness. It would probably only take a minimal amount of sanding to get it to turn another 1/4 inch to tighten it. Should I, or just leave it?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I would not sand the threads on your muzzle . . . ever. Not sure if that is what you are suggesting.

If the wobble bothers you, I'd try some Teflon tape on the threads to take out the play.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Shim it up.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    I would not sand the threads on your muzzle . . . ever. Not sure if that is what you are suggesting.

If the wobble bothers you, I'd try some Teflon tape on the threads to take out the play.
    No, lol. I meant sand the brake so that it would tight up another 1/4 turn on the sight housing threads. Hope that makes more sense.

Feedback Score
    ghjkl
    Last edited by Aries144; 05-11-19 at 19:19.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The brake should be a little loose. Soviet-bloc training doctrine was to remove it to clean it and the barrel. The East German '74 cleaning kit includes a multi-tool for cleaning the brake. If you want it to wobble less, use a little copper anti-seize paste on the threads and that should be enough to cut down on the looseness. The copper paste will still allow removal and is enough to tighten it up. This is what I use: http://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-508.../dp/B00CPL8S8I and it works great for the brake and also for installing barrels.

Otherwise, shoot more. Eventually the carbon will lock up the brake.
    Last edited by interfan; 07-10-14 at 01:48.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    When I had some AK's, (7.62) one had a bit of wobble in the brake. I made a new detent from a AR trigger/hammer pin. That tightened it up, less play within the housing and slot in the brake. You'll need a few minutes with a file or dremel to cut the retaining flat into it and then to length. I don't know if the 74 has the same set up.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by interfan View Post
    The brake should be a little loose. Soviet-bloc training doctrine was to remove it to clean it and the barrel. The East German '74 cleaning kit includes a multi-tool for cleaning the brake. If you want it to wobble less, use a little copper anti-seize paste on the threads and that should be enough to cut down on the looseness. The copper paste will still allow removal and is enough to tighten it up. This is what I use: http://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-508.../dp/B00CPL8S8I and it works great for the brake and also for installing barrels.

Otherwise, shoot more. Eventually the carbon will lock up the brake.
    Interfan is spot on. They are made to be loose because the quickly get carbon buildup like a suppressor and can become very difficult to get off. When that happens you need three hands to hold the rifle, use a strap wrench and push in the detent. Shooting it more and not removing all the carbon will tighten it up.

Feedback Score
    ghjkl
    Last edited by Aries144; 05-11-19 at 19:19.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Leave it loose, it's supposed to be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast