Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LEO and pistol lights

Feedback Score

LEO and pistol lights

I'm looking for some input from people from other agencies. My particular agency does not allow patrol units to carry pistol lights on our Glock 21s unless you are a k9 handler. Is this fairly common/acceptable? I love my agency and we have some great resources and extensive firearms training (compared to many other agencies) but this just seemed kind of odd to me.

They say every policy has a name...so I imagine somebody used their pistol light as a flashlight and either had an AD or just scared someone. Other than that I can't think of any reason to not allow their use.

Thoughts? Questions? Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wreckingball911; 05-09-14 at 01:04.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It is getting very common. We have had them on everyone's gun for maybe 8 years now. We have the same rule that the WML is not to be used as a general purpose light. I think it should be made well known that if such happens, you're going too get hosed. Badly. Hopefully no one attaches their name to that rule. We also have them on our patrol rifles as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My dept is now providing wml training for all officers during in-service. A list of approved lights/ holsters have been provided along with your training date. It's a great way to incorporate standardized handling techniques and fill the want/ needs of the officers.

jpgm

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Only "special" officers and those specifically granted permission allowed.

Though we never had this policy, I carried a tlr1s for years before this became policy.

everyone should have one.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    We are authorized to use them, and can draw money for the holster and light from our annual uniform account.
    I'd like to see them issued, and I think in the next 5 years it will at least be an option for officers at the academy.

We've come a long way since they were authorized in 2008. Before then, it was only for SWAT, while working a SWAT job.

PM me if you want; I might have some stuff for you. Marietta GA has a robust WML training program that's worth looking at.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score

LEO and pistol lights

Going on 10 years. A big selling point for our brass is that the lights are for "target identification" only and not "searching". We still teach our new guys to search with a handheld and transition to weapon mounted light if there is a perceived threat. They really did not feel comfortable with muzzles flying all over the place on your average residential alarm call.

In reality most officers rarely use a handheld and rely on their wml.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Our agency doesn't initially train with wml's in the academy. Officers have the option of purchasing there own and must attend a wml class in order to be authorized to carry it. It is a valuable tool but you must train with it, good luck.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckingball911 View Post
    I'm looking for some input from people from other agencies. My particular agency does not allow patrol units to carry pistol lights on our Glock 21s unless you are a k9 handler. Is this fairly common/acceptable? I love my agency and we have some great resources and extensive firearms training (compared to many other agencies) but this just seemed kind of odd to me.

They say every policy has a name...so I imagine somebody used their pistol light as a flashlight and either had an AD or just scared someone. Other than that I can't think of any reason to not allow their use.

Thoughts? Questions? Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There has been at least one ND that resulted in death that was attributed to a WML. The light in question was the black hawk Xiphos. I'll try to find the article and post it later.

I currently run the Xiphos on my dept. Issue Glock and can honestly say I can very easily see how that could/would happen if the officer does not train with it enough or does not have the proper technique.

WML on handguns are a great tool and an absolute necessity on a patrol rifle. They do require a significant amount of training though depending on the type of light.

My dept. Currently only has one thing in policy addressing WML's and that is the only light approved for handguns is the black hawk Xiphos. For rifles it is a true anything goes. We receive no training prior to using these lights and are required to use handheld lights while shooting our quals, which is a shame if you ask me.

***edit***
    This is an article involving the surefire line of weapon lights and ND's

http://www.policeone.com/police-prod...ly-shoots-man/

Again though a training issue. I was not able to find the article about the black hawk lights but it is an issue that does exist.
    Last edited by bikerdog; 05-09-14 at 13:41.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My agency has approved WML's for several years, we started issuing Surefire X300U when they came out last year. We are on the only Agency in our area that does full issue. Training wise, it no different than teaching someone using a patrol rifle when clearing building etc. We teach handheld techniques with both handgund and longguns. As for deaths being attributed to WML's..thats a bunch of PC/Ego bullshit. The WML didnt fire the weapon..the officer with his finger on the trigger did.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. I'd settle for them just being allowed, not issued, as I already have a tlr1s for my personal g17. Just hope it doesn't take some unfortunate incident for them to see the "light."

Wow that was bad!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast