Thread: New Build

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

New Build

I have assembled a couple ARs but this build I had planned out on paper what parts I wanted ahead of time and attempted to think it through ahead of time, at least as best I could without testing it, I was sure this would change as I went and it did a little bit. The end result in the end I deviated a bit but that was due to a few range trips trial and error. I found what works and what would work better for me in the build. I am very happy with the way the build turned out.

The specs are as follows:

Lower
    1.North Tech Defense billet stripped lower
    2.Daniel Defense LPK
    3. Seekins billet mag release button
    4.Seekins Enhanced bolt release
    5.BAD ETP & EPP
    6.BAD CASS 45 ST (short, short)
    7.Geissele SD-E
    8.Noveske QD endplate
    9.Vltor A5 stock extension with A5H3 I have a A5H1 & A5H2 on hand for testing
    10. Sprinco Green buffer spring
    11. Magpul STR (I am getting a B5 enhanced in today for trial)
    12 BCM MOD 2 grip

Upper

1. North Tech Defense billet upper with titanium FA
    2. North Tech Defense 223 Wylde 16 in fluted barrel mid-length
    3. Geissele Nitride SGB
    4. RAPTOR CH
    5. BCM BCG with sprinco 4 coil enhanced extractor spring
    6. BCM 13 inch KMR
    7. BCM keymod VFG short
    8. Weapon Outfitters Mid-length gas tube
    9. Lantac DRAGON

Optics
    Vortex FFP 2.5-10x32 MRAD

Sling
    Vickers VCAS

Picture of the blank canvas

The lower went off without a hitch, all holes were spec, what little I did use out of the DD LPK was in good shape. I only ended up using a few springs and plungers from the LPK, next time around I will be just buying a LPK from Grant but on the bright side I have a lot of parts left over to toss in the part bin. I really like that the North Tech lower has a threaded bolt catch detent, not that regular ones are an issue but it was a breeze to install the bolt catch. I prob had the lower completed in less than 45 minutes. I know to some that is nothing but I have not assembled that many lowers yet. The ETP and EPP were a snap as usual.I really have to tip my lid at the great folks at BAD for the pin set. I did have to do a small mod to the 45 safety selector but that was just removing the lawyer pin.

Here is a picture of the lower with parts

The upper was a snap also, using the KMR barrel nut system made it very easy and I would recommend this offering to anyone looking for a low profile rail system and a simple install. Everything indexed perfectly with the barrel. The gas block was a tad snug on the barrel but nothing major, I used a rubber mallet and lightly tapped the gas block on and measured everything before using a jig to drill the setscrew indexing holes. After the gas block and gas tube were secure I checked for proper fit, removing the bolt from my BCG and installing the BCG sliding it back and forth making sure the gas tube indexed with the BCG. I then heated the KMR rail for about a minute and installed it as recommended. Again it was cake to install that rail. With the upper now completed I gave both the lower and upper a final check, installed the upper on the lower and checked headspace. I installed the BCM VFG and my Vortex and headed for the range with another M4 member.

Here is the finished build as it stood

At the range I was using LC M855 and some Hornady Vmax. I did not have any match ammo to shoot so this sufficed. With the M855 I was able to get 1-1.5 in groups at 100 yards which I expected but with the V-max I was able to get sub MOA groups which I was happy with. I was using the A5H3 buffer and with the V-max I prob should have been using a lighter buffer.

Since the range trip I switched out a few things, the build now has a PWSFSC556 comp on it. I really like the DRAGON but I just of not think it was a good fit for this build. I switched out the VCAS for a Savy Sniper sling which I may add is absolutely great and all my slings are being switched to this. I also installed a ZeroBravo Keymod bandstop which is another great piece of equip.
    I am very happy with the way this build turned out, I am impressed with the quality of North Tech, I would also strongly give their barrels a nod. The build is very balanced and feels great in the hand. I will update more as I do more testing.

Here is a picture of the build with an Eotech EXPS-30, the savy sniper sling and ZeroBravo handstop

Two more pictures
    Last edited by Blak1508; 08-09-14 at 18:44.

"It's Dangerous To Go Alone! Take This."

https://www.facebook.com/Blak1508
    Instagram Blak1508

Feedback Score
    I have the VCAS as well, and I'm not sold on it yet. I'm hoping I need to just break it in, as it feels kind of stiff.

That is a beautiful rifle. How do you like the Vortex Optic? I'm thinking of getting one for my next build. Quality glass is always expensive, and I don't know if I'm even capable of using a $2,000 dollar optic to its full potential.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuLLZ3Y3 View Post
    I have the VCAS as well, and I'm not sold on it yet. I'm hoping I need to just break it in, as it feels kind of stiff.
    Do you have the VCAS or the Victory sling? The VCAS is cotton duck and should be soft and not need breaking in. The Victory sling is a cheaper material and is much stiffer.

OP- Nice looking carbine
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Doc I appreciate that.

I have five or six VCAS slings and they were my go to sling for all of my long weapons. While at the range with RXM he showed me the Savvy Sniper sling, they are amazing the sling I opted for has a mount and slot QD slide that allows for 1 to a 2 point on the fly and in addition the cobra buckle is a nice feature. All around the sling has it all. The folks at Savvy Sniper also request your measurements if your order direct and they will make the sling custom to your fit. They are expensive but totally worth it IMO. The hardware on the sling prob cost over $50-60. I still love my VCAS slings, but I for so long it was a no brainer for me, when ever I finished a long weapon I ordered a VCAS now It is nice to have another quality option.

Update I just got the B5 enhanced stock in and it is very nice, I really dig the cheek weld. However I have a Vltor A5 7 position stock extension and the B5 will not collapse all the way to the first position, not a big deal since I do not usually keep it there but just an observation. I am still trying to decide which I like better the STR or the B5 SOPMOD.

I have a question for you gentlemen that can advise with regard to the stock, I also have been looking at some other stocks like the MAgpul PRS but before I go and spend that I was wondering if a stock like that would be a good fit for the type of carbine this is. I know they are heavy but the idea of being able to adjust is attractive to me. I wish there was a try before I buy program. I tend to put STR's on all my carbines but one thing I did notice while prone shooting was I wished I could have raised my cheek weld a bit.

Instagram Blak1508

Feedback Score
    Gorgeous rifle, I too have the NTD receivers and the quality is impeccable, would definitely purchase again.

How was the fitment of your Noveske QD end plate on the NTD Lower? I have the same combo and the end plate doesn't sit flush with the receiver. The OD on the end plate is .495 and the ID of the receiver is .485. Wondering if either the end plate is over sized or the receiver is undersized.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blak1508 View Post
    I have five or six VCAS slings and they were my go to sling for all of my long weapons. While at the range with RXM he showed me the Savvy Sniper sling, they are amazing the sling I opted for has a mount and slot QD slide that allows for 1 to a 2 point on the fly and in addition the cobra buckle is a nice feature. All around the sling has it all. The folks at Savvy Sniper also request your measurements if your order direct and they will make the sling custom to your fit. They are expensive but totally worth it IMO. The hardware on the sling prob cost over $50-60. I still love my VCAS slings, but I for so long it was a no brainer for me, when ever I finished a long weapon I ordered a VCAS now It is nice to have another quality option.

I have a question for you gentlemen that can advise with regard to the stock, I also have been looking at some other stocks like the MAgpul PRS but before I go and spend that I was wondering if a stock like that would be a good fit for the type of carbine this is. I know they are heavy but the idea of being able to adjust is attractive to me. I wish there was a try before I buy program. I tend to put STR's on all my carbines but one thing I did notice while prone shooting was I wished I could have raised my cheek weld a bit.
    VCAS also comes in a 2-2-1 option, but I agree that having other gear manufactures is great for more choices.

Is it just the cheekweld from prone or is it the cheekweld from standing, sitting, or kneeling as well? If it's just the prone I would ask myself how frequently I prone out with a rifle and base the decision off of that. If it is from all positions you may be better off trading the scope mount for something that gets the optic a little closer to the rail. You have enough clearance for bringing the objective bell closer.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Tim716- Thank for for the complement. Mine noveske plate is not as flush as other forged receivers, I do remember when assembling the lower I gave that aspect extra attention but when I added the stock extension and cranked it down to spec, it seemed minimal. I will measure and get back regarding that.

Morph- Thank you for the info, I do not shoot prone as often as standing or sitting. It was not as bad when sitting or standing. I will look into another mount to see if that changes it. I just thought that with the adjustment on the PRS I could make that change on the fly if needed, that thought is only in theory I do not have hands on with that stock. I am using the LaRue LT-104 currently.

I am now working on another build it will be my first SBR and I am using the BAD lower. Very excited for this one, even though I have a long wait ahead of me. I anticipate using most of the same lower parts as I used in this build.

Instagram Blak1508

Feedback Score
    Off topic and I'm sorry but I'm close to both both you guys, what range are you going to?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    SCCFSA off 926

Instagram Blak1508