Thread: New Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

New Build

I have assembled a couple ARs but this build I had planned out on paper what parts I wanted ahead of time and attempted to think it through ahead of time, at least as best I could without testing it, I was sure this would change as I went and it did a little bit. The end result in the end I deviated a bit but that was due to a few range trips trial and error. I found what works and what would work better for me in the build. I am very happy with the way the build turned out.

The specs are as follows:

Lower
    1.North Tech Defense billet stripped lower
    2.Daniel Defense LPK
    3. Seekins billet mag release button
    4.Seekins Enhanced bolt release
    5.BAD ETP & EPP
    6.BAD CASS 45 ST (short, short)
    7.Geissele SD-E
    8.Noveske QD endplate
    9.Vltor A5 stock extension with A5H3 I have a A5H1 & A5H2 on hand for testing
    10. Sprinco Green buffer spring
    11. Magpul STR (I am getting a B5 enhanced in today for trial)
    12 BCM MOD 2 grip

Upper

1. North Tech Defense billet upper with titanium FA
    2. North Tech Defense 223 Wylde 16 in fluted barrel mid-length
    3. Geissele Nitride SGB
    4. RAPTOR CH
    5. BCM BCG with sprinco 4 coil enhanced extractor spring
    6. BCM 13 inch KMR
    7. BCM keymod VFG short
    8. Weapon Outfitters Mid-length gas tube
    9. Lantac DRAGON

Optics
    Vortex FFP 2.5-10x32 MRAD

Sling
    Vickers VCAS

Picture of the blank canvas

The lower went off without a hitch, all holes were spec, what little I did use out of the DD LPK was in good shape. I only ended up using a few springs and plungers from the LPK, next time around I will be just buying a LPK from Grant but on the bright side I have a lot of parts left over to toss in the part bin. I really like that the North Tech lower has a threaded bolt catch detent, not that regular ones are an issue but it was a breeze to install the bolt catch. I prob had the lower completed in less than 45 minutes. I know to some that is nothing but I have not assembled that many lowers yet. The ETP and EPP were a snap as usual.I really have to tip my lid at the great folks at BAD for the pin set. I did have to do a small mod to the 45 safety selector but that was just removing the lawyer pin.

Here is a picture of the lower with parts

The upper was a snap also, using the KMR barrel nut system made it very easy and I would recommend this offering to anyone looking for a low profile rail system and a simple install. Everything indexed perfectly with the barrel. The gas block was a tad snug on the barrel but nothing major, I used a rubber mallet and lightly tapped the gas block on and measured everything before using a jig to drill the setscrew indexing holes. After the gas block and gas tube were secure I checked for proper fit, removing the bolt from my BCG and installing the BCG sliding it back and forth making sure the gas tube indexed with the BCG. I then heated the KMR rail for about a minute and installed it as recommended. Again it was cake to install that rail. With the upper now completed I gave both the lower and upper a final check, installed the upper on the lower and checked headspace. I installed the BCM VFG and my Vortex and headed for the range with another M4 member.

Here is the finished build as it stood

At the range I was using LC M855 and some Hornady Vmax. I did not have any match ammo to shoot so this sufficed. With the M855 I was able to get 1-1.5 in groups at 100 yards which I expected but with the V-max I was able to get sub MOA groups which I was happy with. I was using the A5H3 buffer and with the V-max I prob should have been using a lighter buffer.

Since the range trip I switched out a few things, the build now has a PWSFSC556 comp on it. I really like the DRAGON but I just of not think it was a good fit for this build. I switched out the VCAS for a Savy Sniper sling which I may add is absolutely great and all my slings are being switched to this. I also installed a ZeroBravo Keymod bandstop which is another great piece of equip.
    I am very happy with the way this build turned out, I am impressed with the quality of North Tech, I would also strongly give their barrels a nod. The build is very balanced and feels great in the hand. I will update more as I do more testing.

Here is a picture of the build with an Eotech EXPS-30, the savy sniper sling and ZeroBravo handstop

Two more pictures
    Last edited by Blak1508; 08-09-14 at 18:44.

"It's Dangerous To Go Alone! Take This."

https://www.facebook.com/Blak1508
    Instagram Blak1508