Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long term reliability of low power trigger springs

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Long term reliability of low power trigger springs

Just built a 6.8SPC AR and am toying with the idea of using the JP yellow reduced power spring kit with and ALG ACT. There is nothing wrong with the trigger as is, it, as with my other ACTs, is smooth and crisp. However, as the rifle will be used for the range and coyotes, I would think a lighter trigger pull would be a benefit.

I understand that light primer strikes/failure to ignites are an immediate concern, but what else?

For those that have been using reduced power springs for awhile now, have you any other problems with them or helpful tips? Do the FCG pins walk out all the time after awhile? Do the springs continue to get weaker through use, causing ever lighter pull with (more) frequent light primer strikes/failure to ignites? Did you use all the reduced power springs in the set or just specific ones? If memory serves, I remember reading BufordTJustice post something along the lines of just replacing the trigger spring alone to keep ignition reliability while still reducing pull weight, does this still hold true for anyone else and/or after long term use?
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 08-09-14 at 17:48. Reason: Spelling mistakes

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I used one for a while, it was mostly reliable, As long as your gun isn't HD or Serious use, it should be fine. I would not use for HD or Defense etc. Especially if you test it with the coyote load before hunting. I really like the G- SSA.

I just put two ALG triggers in some new LMT and Colt lowers. Felt pretty good for the dollar. Plan to run Iron sights or RDS.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Both of my target/hunting rifles wear RRA 2 stage triggers and JP yellow spring kits. Several thousand rounds between the 2 rifles without a Malf. Should be GTG........
    Honesty, Honor, and Integrity Are Everything!

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I used one for a while, it was mostly reliable, As long as your gun isn't HD or Serious use, it should be fine. I would not use for HD or Defense etc. Especially if you test it with the coyote load before hunting. I really like the G- SSA.

I just put two ALG triggers in some new LMT and Colt lowers. Felt pretty good for the dollar. Plan to run Iron sights or RDS.
    Agree with PappaB. Only in range toys. Not sure about only swapping the trigger spring but have had two sets of JP springs in the past give light strikes.

-Jax

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thank you for the responses. To reiterate, my new 6.8 is indeed for range and coyote. I think I will go ahead and give a set a try. If anyone would like to continue to contribute their long term findings, please feel free to do so.
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 08-17-14 at 11:52.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Since it's not a HD rifle, changing to lower power JP springs is an inexpensive mod and might work well for your use. I have two rifles with ALG ACT triggers which I like a lot. I bought JP springs but never installed them, maybe I dig them out of my parts bin and give them a try.

Let us know how it works out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Low power springs

I've had JP yellows in my SBR for the last 5 years, and approx 6k rounds fired, including some .22lr. It's been reliable for me.

I'm just one sample though.

I'd say if you can go 500 rounds without any light strikes, it should be considered reliable.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I recommend using only the lighter trigger spring. Leave the standard power hammer spring in and you'll have a bit lighter trigger with no worries about light primer strikes. I use the Wolff reduced power trigger springs with ALG ACTs with good results.

Feedback Score
    I have the yellow and red "enhance reliability" pack and it works great, not a single issue. there is no slack between reset and where it sits with no pressure on the trigger. Great set up!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Know1 View Post
    I recommend using only the lighter trigger spring. Leave the standard power hammer spring in and you'll have a bit lighter trigger with no worries about light primer strikes. I use the Wolff reduced power trigger springs with ALG ACTs with good results.
    This is exactly what I was planning on starting with (JP yellow reduced power spring kit is in the mail). Just replacing the trigger spring at first. See how it goes from there. Just wanted to know of people's experience with this setup or a full reduced power spring kit swap and especially how it has held up over the long haul.
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 08-17-14 at 11:54.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast