Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Long term reliability of low power trigger springs

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Man... I've got a buddy who replaced several trigger/hammer/spring groups with Geissele triggers.... and the part are all fuX0red up with JP garbage and Bill Springfield retard trigger destroy jobs.

Friggin kills me... I can't bring myself to trash them, but I'll never trust them.
    what's wrong with his trigger jobs? I'd generally heard good things about them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpom View Post
    Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I think the energy transferred to the firing pin cannot be greater than the energy generated by the hammer spring, regardless of the mass of the hammer. Mass of hammer can only affect lock time, not energy with which firing pin impacts primer. Sure, using formula of Energy=1/2 massXVelocity squared skews higher energy towards higher velocity, but only if mass remains constant. Still, source of energy is the hammer spring. So going with a weaker hammer spring, how can energy imparted to the firing pin remain the same?
    You can get a higher energy imparted to the hammer because the lower mass and same distance gives the spring less initial resistance to move the hammer. The resting energy needed to move the hammer from stationary is less, so more of the energy of the spring is used to accelerate the hammer. Also, since velocity is squared, it is a more influential factor than mass. If you increase velocity, it effects energy more than decreasing mass by the same proportions.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wow, I had completely forgotten about this thread!

I ended up replacing the trigger spring with the JP yellow reduced power trigger spring from their reduced power spring set and wasn't all that impressed with the results. The trigger pull felt longer and mushier while dry firing. Not incredibly so, but enough to notice. I ended up shooting my 6.8 with this setup at the range and while I didn't shoot any better or worse than when using the standard trigger spring, I was not especially fond of the new found longer mushier trigger pull. I ended up putting the standard trigger spring back in and have not looked back.

Feedback Score
    Another thing you can do is use the brown AR10 hammer spring from JP.

I personally prefer full power hammer springs for reliable primer ignition.

I've been using JP reduced hammer springs since 2003, as well as the single stage triggers, in addition to several other triggers. I personally like single stage and short reset, but I like Geissele triggers for reliability and that last clean break on their 2-stage SSA and SSA-E.

I use speed hammers for the JP triggers. With the JP triggers, you REALLY need to clean the trigger and screws bone dry before Loc tite, because they will back out, even with Red, if there is any oil on the trigger before.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234