Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice for weight distribution fix

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The weight the UBR stock is adding negates any advantage gained in shifting the CG aft. The UBR is 1.5 lbs, not counting the RE. The CTR weighs .5 lbs. But just how much does the UBR shift the CG? In reality, not much.

CG with CTR stock fully extended-

CG with UBR stock fully open-

The UBR changes the CG by only about an inch and a half but the carbine is now a full pound heavier.

My carbine feels livelier with the lighter CTR stock although it's CG is closer to the muzzle. When the UBR is installed, the carbine feels dead in comparison. I don't think your issue is one of balance. I think it's the extra weight of the UBR
    This was very interesting to read. I guess I should have also mentioned that I'm a nose to charging handle shooter, and the UBR has given me a better cheek weld at the length of pull I use than any other stock I've tried. My second favorite being the ACS-L. I've tried the CTR and B5 stocks, but never liked them. UBR just works well for me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminalLance View Post
    I'd be replacing the 14.5" gov't profile barrel with a 16" BCM ELW (fluted) barrel, replacing the old Geissele nut with the newer aluminum one he made, and probably switching to a BattleComp or AAC Blackout flash hider. I'd like to keep the Geissele MK1 10" rail I have as it fits my hands well and I've got no issues with it.
    Sounds like a good plan, with some exception.

I switched from steel to aluminum barrel nut, saved 2oz if I remember correctly. It was worth while.

The Gov barrel, is a terrible idea, good to get rid of it. The BCM barrel is a good choice.

Muzzle device is where you should be picky. The AAC is quite heavy, the Battle comp is lighter. V7 has a titanium one coming out which my be worth while for you.

Yeah, I might just go with a BC. I have one on my wife's rifle that I like a lot, and was also looking at the FSC556 to try out. Not sure how heavy it is though. Might just play it safe and stick with getting a BC.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminalLance View Post
    This was very interesting to read. I guess I should have also mentioned that I'm a nose to charging handle shooter, and the UBR has given me a better cheek weld at the length of pull I use than any other stock I've tried. My second favorite being the ACS-L. I've tried the CTR and B5 stocks, but never liked them. UBR just works well for me.
    TANSTAAFL Every choice is a compromise. I love my UBR, it's solid and, as you noted, has a good, comfortable cheek weld.

I pay the weight penalty of the UBR to have a solid, adjustable stock with a comfortable cheek weld on my precision AR

On the M&P-10, I used the MagPul Fixed Carbine stock to get a better cheekweld while keeping the weight down. The cheekweld isn't quite as good as the UBR but is a noticeable improvement over the CTR. The goal with the Big Smith is a solid, practical 308 AR while keeping the weight down

On the carbine, the CTR gives me light weight and adjustability and while the cheekweld isn't bad, it's not as comfortable as the UBR or Fixed Carbine

Writing this post has got me thinking- How much do I need the adjustability of the CTR on my carbine? I think I'm going to try a Fixed Carbine stock and see if I like that better. (In fact, since building the AR pistol with the Sig arm brace, I've been re-thinking the role my 16 inch carbine plays in the line up, but that's a subject for another post)
    Last edited by MistWolf; 08-11-14 at 10:16.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

I caved in and decided to get both the ELW-F barrel and the KMR 13. Anyone know where to score some keymod rail panels?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    you are never going to get the weight behind the mag well with a 14.5 inch and 30 round magazine unless you get a ACS and place solid lead in the trap door...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You can use the MI panels, BCM panels are out of stock today. Or wait for the BCM panels to be back in. I have not been using panels on the KMR rifles, but have NSR panels on the NSR rail, it gets hot.

I think you chose wisely (ELW-F & KMR 13). I'm glad you decided on the 13" rail over the ten, you'll be happier with that is my guess.

I like the UBR stock, but the weight trade off is too high for me.

For me, if I'm super concerned about weight I use a CTR or standard carbine stock. For all around I use B5 SOPMOD (fairly heavy), for a more precision rifle build I use the ACS. I use the medium contour Noveske steel barrel for the all around rifles (got em before the ELW). BCM BFH LW 14.5 for LW build.

Have you tried a standard A2 stock? I had one on a rifle I gave to my son and I really liked it more than I thought I would.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 08-13-14 at 15:45.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    You can use the MI panels, BCM panels are out of stock today. Or wait for the BCM panels to be back in. I have not been using panels on the KMR rifles, but have NSR panels on the NSR rail, it gets hot.

I think you chose wisely (ELW-F & KMR 13). I'm glad you decided on the 13" rail over the ten, you'll be happier with that is my guess.

I like the UBR stock, but the weight trade off is too high for me.

For me, if I'm super concerned about weight I use a CTR or standard carbine stock. For all around I use B5 SOPMOD (fairly heavy), for a more precision rifle build I use the ACS. I use the medium contour Noveske steel barrel for the all around rifles (got em before the ELW). BCM BFH LW 14.5 for LW build.

Have you tried a standard A2 stock? I had one on a rifle I gave to my son and I really liked it more than I thought I would.
    I had an A2 stock for four years, but haven't gone back since. I've got a spare ACS-L stock in the parts bin that I can swap the UBR out for if it comes down to it. The ACS-L was my favorite after the UBR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Sorry if I missed it, but how did you measure the center of gravity so precisely?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Henry View Post
    Sorry if I missed it, but how did you measure the center of gravity so precisely?
    For me I flip it upside down and balance it on a muzzle device rod I have placed in a vise running horizontal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast