Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surefire Light Upgrade

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Surefire Light Upgrade

So I’m currently using two older Surefire lights as weaponlights that have incandescent bulbs and I’d like to upgrade them to LED’s. I don’t use the weaponlights often but I’d like to know I have more than 65 lumens in case I have to light something up at the edge of my property or in my home, heaven forbid. I’m currently looking at a couple of options, both would keep the costs right around where I want to be, about $200, as I’m currently putting more priority on ammo for range time and matches.

Option #1:
    Gun 1 – Upgrade Surefire M951 with KX4 head and HSP MIL620 Keymod mount
    Gun 2 – Upgrade Surefire G2 with KX4 head, use existing offset mount.
    Option #2:
    Gun 1 – Replace Surefire M951 with Surefire G2X Tactical in Odinworks Keymod Light Mount
    Gun 2 – Replace Surefire G2 with Surefire G2X Tactical in existing offset mount.

The G2X lights do have more lumen output compared to the KX4 but I’m not sure that is necessarily a good thing, sometimes more is simple more…not better. This was further reinforced after I watched a video that Travis Haley did regarding his Inforce WML, while a product piece it still brought up some good points. Surefire doesn’t recommend the G2 or G2X to be used as a weaponlight but it’s been done for years without many issues so I’m not really worried about that. 320 lumens versus 120 lumens seems like a no brainer but I’m just not so sure.

What are some of your thoughts and opinions?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I am a real fan of Gene Malkoff's LED replacements in a Surefire.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/

I have one in Surefire 870 light, and two others in 6P handhelds that used to have incan bulbs. They are very reliable, and have a great flood for a room or other enclosed space. You can get ones that have more throw.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have considered the Malkoff Devices drop ins but my understanding is that the M951 lights require modification to make them work. I'd rather avoid this and would like to keep the upgrades same/same between the two rifles.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Some have to be modified some don't. I have a 951 with malkoff drop in and all I needed was a beryllium spring washer.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'll try to give Malkoff a call and see what they have to say. At this point I'm more keen to upgrading the lights that I already have versus replacing them with new ones.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Range Trigger Monkey View Post
    I'll try to give Malkoff a call and see what they have to say. At this point I'm more keen to upgrading the lights that I already have versus replacing them with new ones.
    Replacement may be cheaper in the long run.

You can pick up a P2X for right at $100. It will blow the socks off of the M952.

I tried upgrading the M952 with a P60L, and then a KX4 before selling the Weaponlight.

They are built like tanks, but they are seriously eclipsed, performance-wise, by the newer models of SF's lights.

From my experience, giving up the IR capability of the original Incan bulb wasn't worth the extra lumens. I'd have been better served either keeping the light, without attempting an upgrade, or just replacing it with an M952V.

YMMV

Feedback Score
    EMP may burnout all LED.... food for thought

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 09fatbob View Post
    Really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Absolutely, send emails to ask all the manufacturers "will your flashlights stand up to an EMP event " see what there answer is .... Some give u a well unknown b/s answer. Surefire was truthful.... Incandescent lights will will stand up have extra bulds on hand too, research Faraday cages for led protection, also how far from center of event u r matters

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 09fatbob View Post
    Wrap aluminum foil around your safe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast