Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Surefire Light Upgrade

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Keep the incans. Go to SBflashlights and buy some 1 mode Solarforce P60 clones. You can get a complete for like $35... then if you don't like the switch, you can get a surefire clicky for $29 later.

I run some of the stock switches, but a few of them weren't momentary, so I had to hold my nose and buy a few surefires.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My advice: get an 1 cell E series body and put a Malkoff E1 LED bezel on it - way lighter than your other options.

The KX4 head is great but only 120 lumens. The Malkoff drop-ins will work with the Z32 bezel that comes standard on the M951 but the Z32 is a shock isolated bezel. Shock-isolation is only required for incan bulbs. You will actually lose a lot of heatsinking if you use one without modification (IE - copper tape around your Malkoff until it fits snugly in the body and a foam or silicone rubber spacer ring at top) - this is more trouble than it's worth unless you just like the way the Z32 looks. You could drop a Z44 (6P, C2, etc..) bezel on it with the Malkoff and would save a lot of weight and size. If you'd like a Malkoff drop-in but smaller body, buy an E series body, an E2C adapter, then thread your KX4, Z44, or Z32 onto the body. Just make sure you get the right mount. Do NOT just drop in an LED drop in into a Z32 shock-isolated bezel. Your LED module will have improper heatsinking and may die on you prematurely. Another option is to get an E series body and use a Valiant Concepts Malkoff bezel that attaches directly to the body but allows full-size Malkoff drop ins.

I stopped running 2 cell weaponlights after I had a nightmare that I was in a firefight in pitch blackness and my light died on me. I kept fumbling and dropping cells and inserting them in backwards (it was a dream). Also, mismatched cells can cause a kabloom in your battery compartment. Since then, I like to be able to just unscrew the bezel and drop one battery in - something easily accomplished in the dark with minimal training.

FYI: I run 1 cell E series bodies with Malkoff E1s or Valiant concept bezels with M31s on my serious guns and Inforce WMLs on my toys.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    Also, mismatched cells can cause a kabloom in your battery compartment.
    It's nice to have a ZTS battery tester and check your batteries for even juice periodically.

Everyone should have a ZTS... if only to check batteries in your smoke detectors.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123